weight loss after revision of rny to erny

StacysMom
on 1/12/10 2:45 am
 Another thing which affects excess weight loss in an ERNY revision is the amount of intestine which was bypassed with the original RNY surgery.    Some people found out that their original surgeons hardly bypassed any intestine at all, so the additional ERNY malabsorption is like a "fresh" bypass and they are the ones who lose the most  and the fastest.

Those who had a decent amount of intestine bypassed with their original RNY surgery lose less and lose slower with the ERNY because the villi in their intestines have, to some degree, adapted to the original malabsorption and "learned" to absorb more nutrients over time.
PekinSal
on 1/12/10 6:39 am - UK
Its not quite the same but for DSers the losing phase (in terms of it being easy) is said to be 18 months to two years.

After this it is thought that your intestines 'adapt' and learn to absorb more, either through increasing their surface area or lengthening. If you had 100 common channel at surgery you might grow some more over the years.

Having said that, some veterans have found they still lose weight after 2 years out, but it might take more concentration and avoiding carbs on purpose. For DSers too the sleeve expands slightly over time too, so we actually are eating more as well.

DS revision from failed lapband

Deanne K.
on 1/12/10 8:28 am - Tucson, AZ
Hello,
I haven't posted here in over 6 months, due to all the attacks that I received, but I wanted to chime in and give an update on me.

I am over 16 months out from my ERNY revision.  I have lost over 70 lbs.  I continue to lose and have fulfilled my goal of weight loss and the Dr.'s.  I am still losing a few pounds here and there, depending upon my diet.  You do have to watch your vitamins and proteins more closely with the ERNY surgery. 

Make sure you do all your research and chose the best surgery for you and your situation.  All the different surgeries have their pro's and con's. 

Deanne
shele
on 1/12/10 9:02 pm
Hi Deanne.  Please don't stop posting because of ignorant, rude people!  Block them if you have too,, we... I need people like you posting!!!  We with this distal.. erny... what ever it is need you revision vets to keep posting!! 

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

JROLFSON
on 1/12/10 11:46 pm - St. George, UT
Yes Deanne:

I have to agree with Shele...Please don't stop posting because of ignorant people who think they know everything but have experienced nothing as you, myself or Shele have....Your information and great outcome are invaluable to many on these boards.

By the way you look amazing!

Janie
Deanne K.
on 1/12/10 11:56 pm - Tucson, AZ
Hi Janie,
I wanted to tell you, not to give up.  I had stalled for months and it finally had restarted, I want to say somtime after the hernia repair, which was right before your surgery.  You can still lose weight if you want to.  Protein, Protein, Protein.  If I eat carbs, I don't feel so well.  I get nausea quite a bit lately, so I am watching that very closely and have talked to my Dr.'s.  I know part of it is probably what I am eating (too many carbs). 

BTW, Thanks for the compliments.

Deanne
JROLFSON
on 1/13/10 12:08 am - St. George, UT
Hi Deanne:

I am still hanging in there. I appreciate your comments and experiences that you share. I eat a lot of protein but it's really strange because after my surgery I lost my desire for simple carbs like candy....My diet was made up of simple carbs and after surgery I almost dislike the taste of any kind of sugar...I know that is a good thing. My problem is with fatty foods...But to date I haven't had any issues at all with nausea...I'm sorry that you are experiencing that. I hope to lose 30 more pounds...I weigh about 159 now. I would love to weigh about 129....But if I get to 135 that is ok too.

Keep in touch...Love talking to you my friend...

Janie
Deanne K.
on 1/13/10 12:18 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi Janie,
I am at #140 now and am so happy with that.  If I lost to 135, that really is all the lower I want to go.  I am very happy where I am today.  I don't want to go back to 105# when I was young. 

Normal BMI is what I am shooting for.  Fatty foods are not a problem with me most of the time.  They seem to agree with me most of the time. 

You can lost those last 30 lbs.  You are doing wonderfully.  Sometimes the weight, just falls off and you don't really realize it.  I had stayed the same for months and then all of a sudden, I was down 2 or 3 lbs, then stall for a while again and another 2 or 3 would leave.  It's slow, but I will definately take it over regaining the weight.

You should send me an updated pick.  PM me and I will send you my personal email.  It good to hear you are doing so well.  Are you returning for a check up or vacation anytime soon? 

Keep in touch.
Deanne

JROLFSON
on 1/13/10 12:21 am - St. George, UT
I hope to get out there in February. I will definately send you a picture. I don't really have any but I will have my Husband take one so I can get it to you.

Talk to you soon.

Janie
Deanne K.
on 1/13/10 12:23 am - Tucson, AZ
You will have to let me know when and maybe I can come up to visit.
Deanne
Most Active