weight loss after revision of rny to erny

Carole Jones
on 1/11/10 9:26 pm - washington, dc
Hello I am posting this question again with all of the info I left out initially.
I had wls rny in 2001 my weight at that time was 318, I successfully lost 110 pounds in about a year. I slowly started to regain in 2003. I had my rny revised to erny on 9/17/09, at that time my weight was 275, I have lost fifty two pounds thus far. My question is when does the weight loss slow or taper off. I know with initial wls its starts to taper off at around eighteen months. 
Thanx

shele
on 1/11/10 10:37 pm

Mine stopped at 6 months out.

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

JROLFSON
on 1/21/10 11:21 pm - St. George, UT
Hi Shele:

Just noticed the new pic...LOVE IT!

Janie
JROLFSON
on 1/12/10 1:48 am - St. George, UT

Hi Carole:

I believe I proposed this question on your last post but hadn't seen the answer yet. Do you know to what length your Surgeon shortened your Common Channel to?

Honestly 52 lbs in less than 4 months is much better than I've seen for ERNY. That is very fast. I would say depending on how short your common channel is you could easily lose another 60 lbs. I've heard some people say their ERNY continues to show a loss up through a year or more and others stop at about 6 months out.

I am currently 7 months out and I am still losing very slowly. About 1 - 2 lbs a month. But my common channel is about 100 so I would lose slower as I have a less agressive malabsorption. The length has a lot to do with how fast and how much and how long you lose from what I have seen and read.

Good Luck to you....How are you doing with vitamins and proteins and how do you feel?

JRolfson

Carole Jones
on 1/12/10 1:57 am - washington, dc

thank you for your responce
my common channel was shortened to 100. I feel good. I excersie at least 30 minutes a day. I have been getting enough protein in and my vitamins. I just had my labs done and they were good, have to take supplements for vitamin d and vitamin a.
60 more pounds would be great !!!! 

BlessedHighlyFavored
on 1/12/10 5:49 am - Harvey, LA
Hi  JRolfson
What kind of revision did you have ? When did you have your revision ? How much weight have you loss after your revision ?  I am in the process of getting a revision where my doctor is revising my orginial RNY back to where I started. My orginial surgery was in 2001. My pouch and stoma has stretched and he will go in and make my pouch and stoma back to original size and make any repairs. I am waiting for my surgery date.. Good luck with your revision.  Just curious
JROLFSON
on 1/12/10 6:10 am - St. George, UT
Hello there Blessed:

In May of 2009 I had a Revision to ERNY. I have lost 55 lbs. This was my 3rd Weight Loss Surgery and 2nd Revision. I began the Weight Loss Journey in 1978 with a Gastroplasty (Stomach Stapling) This came apart and I was revised to a RNYGB in 1988. I was 280 at the time of my first surgery and I lost down to 116 and kept it off for 9 years. I gained back to 225 at the time of my RNY and lost down to 116 after the RNY I kept the weight off for 15+ years and regained to 214 at the time I revised to ERNY. My first choice was the DS but insurance wouldn't cover and it is a very difficult surgery with only a handful of Dr.s across the country doing it I was a little skeptical. I do wish I would have gone that way as I am having some problems with absorption. No matter how many vitamins I take I'm not absorbing D, K, A or E...

Because of the scar tissue issues I have they chose not to resize the pouch or stoma. If I continue with the malabsorbing issues I will at some point have to make a decision to revise again. Some people think that the DS comes with major malabsorption issues as well, and it does have it's problems but comparatively speaking Distal RNY vs DS the DS comes out a winner as you have a fairly normal stomach again and the digestive juices begin the absorption process of vitamins which you do not have with Distal RNY.

I hope I have covered all your questions and I do hope you check out all your options. There are several incidences that I have read about where a patient goes in thinking they are going to have a revised pouch and stoma and come out with an ERNY because of the scar tissue issues. Be sure to ask your Dr. what his backup plan is for you if he gets in there and finds that you have to many adhesions and the risk isn't worth the outcome. Ask him if his backup plan includes a different procedure of if he plans to just stop the surgery and give you nothing...I don't want to put a damper on your excitement but these are questions that are imperative to ask. There are many on these boards who haven't always received what they thought they were going to get because of the issues inside there stomach. Also are you going to have this revision lap or open? This is always very important to know ahead of time as many procedures begin as lap and revert to open after seeing what's in there.

Good Luck to you Blessed.....Research, Research, Research I can't stress that enough.

JRolfson
shayla-sara
on 1/12/10 10:58 am - Canada
Hello, I am new at this, I am from Canada and had the same surgery as you in 1987 (stomach stapling) and is looking into revision it also came apart and gained all my weight back, i'm not sure what erny is and the difference to the rny, just wanting to figure this all out before my consult here in Ontario, if you could give me any info on any of these surgeries and what you feel is the best way to go it would be helpful I am at 280 right now. thanks so much Sharon K.
JROLFSON
on 1/21/10 11:23 pm - St. George, UT
Hi Shayla...

The standard revision from Stomach Stapling is normally Gastric Bypass...But honestly you might do better at your weight going for the Duodenal Switch...You should really check into it...it seems to have better statistics long term for maintaining after weight loss than the RNY does.

Good Luck...

Janie
BlessedHighlyFavored
on 1/12/10 10:05 pm - Harvey, LA
Hi JRolfson
Thank you for the great  information !!!!!!  I have had an endoscopy test done to check my insides to look at my pouch and stoma. I have had ultra sound done because I had been getting nausated around the clock and my doc thought it was my gallbladder. He found that I had H.Plyori and was put on prevpac for 14 days. My last visit we talked about the procedure and he did not mention anything about me having alot of scar tissues. When my insurance assigned person at his office submitted my paperwork I did ask the insurance guru about whether it would be done open or laparoscopic , she said that it would be laparoscopic surgery
because when they the endoscopy procedure at that time my doctor would have told me if he could not do it laparoscopic  because of the scar tissues. I have made a copy of your information and I will present these questions to him at my doctor's appointment tommorrow.
Thanks a lot for your great information. I also have a list of my own to ask him I wrote everything down so my mind won't go blank when I talk to him tommorrow. Tommorrow I sign the papers for surgery and then I will get my date. My doctor is very informative and answers all the questions of concern He is very patient and easy to talk to.He does explain things so that I can understand.
Most Active