Thinking of getting a Revision

(deactivated member)
on 1/11/10 7:22 pm - Edinburg, TX
Hi!  My name's Ginger Castro and here's my situation:  I had lap band on April 2, 2009 and have lost 45 lbs since then.  I suffer from hypothyroidism, haven't done much exercise lately but do try to sometimes, and don't always eat healthy but I do eat much less than I used to.  I was told the lap band procedure doesn't work as quickly as the bypass but in the end I went with it.  Honestly, I originally wanted the bypass because I felt like it sounded like a better option.. or the sleeve but I don't think Medicare covers the sleeve.  Unfortunately, a friend scared me out of getting the bypass with her story about how a friend of hers died to organ failure.  I've had one fill and personally I didn't like that experience and it didn't take a drastic number of pounds off so now I'm debating whether or not to get revision and do the bypass if Medicare covers a revision.  I was thinking of just continuing to eat less and exercise plenty more and not bother with the fills but now I'm thinking maybe it wouldn't hurt to try a revision to bypass.  I see the patients at the Dr's office who've had bypass and the majority really are slimmer than the patients who've had lap band.  I'm no longer afraid of whatever my friend scared me off the idea about and really feel this may be my best bet to reach my goals.  What do you all think?

Could it be my thyroid problem or could it be that I chose the wrong surgery to begin with?

PekinSal
on 1/12/10 6:49 am - UK
Hi Ginger, welcome to revision world.

It doesnt sound from your post like you really wanted the band in the first place, but were kind of pressured into it! Most people have a story of how so-and-so died from surgery by the way, it makes them feel better to tell you!

Thing is though, you have the band now. I can't tell if you have got restriction from your band yet, but I doubt it from one fill. Mine took about six fills before I could tell any difference. If you don't have fills to restriction it won't work. Its like carrying an umbrella but never opening it - you can't really complain that it doesnt work.

If you could eat less and exercise more you wouldnt have got into this position. If you can't exercise because of your health, having 'willpower' won't be enough for you.

You havent had this surgery long, and havent really given it a genuine chance. I doubt that revision surgeons will want to consider you yet. Although I had my band taken out, I had tried with it for two years.

RNY or DS or sleeve would have been other choices for you. This is why we say research the surgeries before you choose one, and talk to people who have had each surgery. Revisions are risky and surgically complex. There are only a few surgeons in the world that do them. Revision is not an easy option, and your insurer might have restrictions on it too. For all these reasons I would suggest that you speak to your surgeon and see if you can work with what you have.

DS revision from failed lapband

(deactivated member)
on 1/12/10 7:16 am - Edinburg, TX
 Thanks for your advice!  It really helped!
Most Active