Federal BCBS...will they approve my revision?

shar P.
on 1/11/10 10:40 pm - sellersville, PA
Hey everyone!

I am about to send in everything to my insurance company (federal blue cross blue shield- standard), and I was wondering if anyone out there had experience with them? Should I expect a long road ahead fraught with major battles? So many people have been working on approvals for months even years and I'm praying that won't be the case with me.

I had an RNY about 7 yrs ago, am 27 with no comorbidites. I only lost 50 lbs w original surgery and gained 25 back to get back up to 315.

Any feedback appreciated!

Shar
taraemerson
on 1/12/10 10:21 am, edited 1/12/10 10:22 am - New Boston, TX
I have bcbs fed, and I had revision surgery Dec. 3rd... I started this in July 08... I met a little resistance in the beginning...i had had a VBG, or stomach stapling and only lost 40 lbs....

I needed a revision and checked out all the requirements and I met them all...I did the psych eval, nutrition consult, and had an upper GI.

Two days before my surgery date of Oct.3rd 08 the insurance refused to pay...saying i had not been compliant... i called the insurance lady and ask her how she knew that, since she didn't live with me...Any way they set up a Peer review between their Dr. and mine...they said i needed a psych eval, an Upper GI and a 6 month behavioral management class...

So i drove 4 hours round trip once a month for 7 months as the first class doesnt count as a month but starts the month....

I was suppossed to have surgery in May 09 but i had a stroke in April 09...i had to wait to get all that under control... i called the Dr. back the last of August and the soonest they could do my surgery was Dec.

So... it took some time but some of the time was my fault kinda...i think if they would have let me have surgery in 08 i wouldnt have had the stroke in 09...

feel free to Pm any questions or look for me on facebook im Tara Lynne Emerson...

shar P.
on 1/12/10 9:48 pm - sellersville, PA
Hi Tara,

Thanks so much for the informative post. Wow you really went through a lot. I just looked at your board. How are you doing now after the surgery since it has finally happened!!!!! I hope you are well and thanks so much for the info. I will definitely facebook you.

Shar
taraemerson
on 1/12/10 9:57 pm - New Boston, TX
hey im doing fine...getting better everyday...i replied to your PM as well...please ask away...i'll do my best to help you anyway i can

Most Active