RNY revision to DS question- common channel length?

shar P.
on 1/11/10 1:52 am - sellersville, PA
Hi Everyone! I am on my journey to get a revision from RNY to DS with Dr. Greenbaum. I just finished all my pre-op testing and am now waiting on insurance approval. My question is this...

1. I have seen some posts telling the individual to ask about the "length of the common channel" before going through with the surgery. What does this mean, and why is it important?

2. Are there other questions I should be asking? Surgically speaking?

3. Also- how are people doing with their RNY to DS revisions?

4. How long did your surgery take, and when can I hope to go back to work without being really fatigued?

I appreciate everyone's help. I am so nervous!!!! I guess my one question turned into a lot. This is such a big decision and it was hard for me to consider another surgery when I felt like such a failure after the RNY.

Thanks so much everyone!

Shar
(deactivated member)
on 1/11/10 2:48 am
Hi Shar!

You will get more answers if you post this over on the DS forum.  We have a ton of RNY to DS revisions there and I am not sure how many of them visit this forum.

Michele
shar P.
on 1/11/10 10:14 pm - sellersville, PA
Michele,

Thanks for the advice.  I cross posted and am getting some feedback :)

Shar
smileyjamie72
on 1/11/10 6:37 am - Palmer, AK
I did reply to you on the DS board as well, but thought everyone over here on the revisions board would also benefit from this website too.

Common Channel is CC on the website & the neat thing is that you can click on the top & it will arrange the columns for you (like alphabatize the doc's and so-forth)

http://www.epursimuove.com/ds/

-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

shar P.
on 1/11/10 10:16 pm - sellersville, PA
Thanks Jamie. I replied to you on the other forum and am going to check it out now!

Shar
srooker
on 1/11/10 6:57 am - Port Byron , NY
Hi all,

I know this is probably a stupid question, but tell me if I got this right:

Longer CC = Less wgt. loss & less Vitamin Deficiency
Shorter CC = Greater Wgt loss & more Vitamin Deficiency

Scott

Ara Keshishian
on 1/11/10 9:22 am - Glendale, CA

Hello Scott,

Longer common Channel= less weight loss, and less chance of certain vitamin deficiency and less chance of protein malnutrition, less chance of significant loose bowel movements, and less chance of significant flatus issues.

The opposite is clear.

The key is not to start comparing lengths. (i.e., mine is this long how long is yours) because the lengths of the bowel should be taken in context of the total length of the bowel.

What this all means, as a surgeon, I have to balance the desire for maximum weight loss, with the significant nutritional deficiencies. It is my opinion, that it is much safer to be 10-15lbs over weight than the same underweight. 

Hope I did not confuse the issue.
Ara
 Ara Keshishian, MD, FACS, FASMBS
[email protected]
www.dssurgery.com

srooker
on 1/11/10 9:56 am - Port Byron , NY
Ara,

You did not confuse the issue, but cleared it up rather nicely ..... I haven't had the DS surgery yet, but want to know what I was talking about when I meet with my surgeon to discuss the points of the surgery. I was just unclear on this (probably unclear on more, but this will do for now).

Thanks for the info (knowledge is power)
Scott
shar P.
on 1/11/10 10:22 pm - sellersville, PA
Ara,

Thanks so much for the info. You answered my post as well. I didn't really understand the reason behind questioning the common channel length.

Shar
Most Active