second thoughts

kjg
on 1/10/10 8:19 am - ND
My surgery is scheduled for Jan 21 for RNY.  Having second thoughts maybe I should get the lapband.

Worried about getting enough protien in and taking all the vitimins 

any thoughts
(deactivated member)
on 1/10/10 8:35 am
Some anxiety is expected with any surgery, but if you're seriously having second thoughts, I would talk with my surgeon. You do not want to have this surgery and regret it later.
LizMoore
on 1/10/10 12:16 pm - San Diego, CA
I had the lapband for 3 1/2 yrs..and had a revision to the RNY 2 yrs ago..check out everything and check all the forums,,weight the pros and the cons and go from there,,even write them down. For me the RNY has been alot better,,but thats me.

Protein drinks always help with either one and sublingual vitamins are best :)

Kerry J.
on 1/10/10 12:57 pm - Santa Clara, UT
Why do you want a Lap Band instead of RNY, VSG or DS? If you're not sure it's right for you, do not go through with the surgery. These boards are full of people with failed Lap Bands & RNY's and I can tell you from experience a revision isn't any fun. Study all your options, make sure you're getting what will work for you, cut only once...... One cutting is plenty, make damn sure you're getting what's best for you and understand how you're going to have to live the rest of your life because that's what it's all about.

Kerry
JROLFSON
on 1/10/10 11:35 pm - St. George, UT
I have to concur with Kerry! I have to think that ONE CUT is enough....Make it the right ONE...

If you read this forum page by page there are so many lap band revisions due to port problems, flipping, erosion, and trying to get the sweet spot...I just can't tell you how many people end up revising eventually after many, many problems...They may lose weight but many gain it back and end up revising to something else after all.

Think it over, believe me take it from someone who has done this (3) times (3 WL Surgeries) without a lapband (which is the lower on the results scale than RNY, DS, VSG) you don't want to go there.

JRolfson
Kerry J.
on 1/10/10 11:45 pm - Santa Clara, UT
There's one other thing I should say.

I was one who was a bit worried about getting in enough protein and vitamins, more about the vitamins than the protein, but I was a little worried about it. I was looking at going from an old RNY to revision to DS and my understanding was that I would have to take a bunch of vitamins every day, something I had not been doing. '

As it turns out, it's a real non-issue, even though I'm taking more vitamins every day than I ever thought I would. Taking vitamins has changed from a chore to something I enjoy doing. I'm not really sure why this change in attitude came about, but it may have to do with losing all the weight, feeling great and seeing in my labs what the vitamins are doing for me.... I'm not really sure about why my attitude has changed so much, just that it has changed.

IMO this is nothing to worry about, how you're going to eat and live every day, is defiantly something to worry about and consider carefully.

Kerry
emjayel56
on 1/11/10 3:44 am - Boynton Beach,, FL

I had a lapband for 9 years until August when i revised to an RNY bypass.  My only regret was not doing the bypass from day 1.  I am far more happier with the bypass; it has eliminated all the problems that I had with the band.  You will be fine.  We all get cold feet beforehand; you would not be normal if you didn't.   Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

maryjo

BELOW GOAL WEIGHT... LOST 151 LBS AND CURRENTLY WEIGH 138 LBS.  ... Maryjo

He who can't be Named
on 1/11/10 2:18 pm
I had the band, and have hopes of being able to revise to a sleeve. Go visit the regrets or failed WLS boards and there are too many lap band failures there. Hrm, quite a few RNYs too. If I were to do it over again, I'd only look at the sleeve or the D.S. Be comfortable with your choice. This is too big a decision to have regrets over.
Most Active