Hybrid DS and ERNY ???

prosperiti
on 1/9/10 5:23 am - Taylor , MI
Hello everyone...does anyone know if there is a differnece between the hybrid DS and an ERNY they sound simular, and is there anyone who has had this revision from RNY to hybrid DS or ERNY done please tell me the difference and the pro's and con's of each...some say its the best of both worlds and some say its the worst of both worlds.. please fill me in. I am looking to get the complete revision from RNY to DS, but I was given the option for the hybrid DS..it is my choice I just would like some feed back on anyone who knows or have had it done...Thanks...P.S I love you guys...
StacysMom
on 1/9/10 3:56 pm
 I'm not sure what a "hybrid DS" is, but an ERNY is where the doctor leaves the RNY  pouch alone and just shortens the common channel (intestinal bypass) for more malabsorption.   The blind stomach is still left in you.    It is also known as a very long limbed RNY or a very distal RNY.    Maybe it's also called a "hybrid DS"??  The length the common channel is left varies depending on the doctor's preference and what is most likely to be successful for the patient.

With the true DS, the pouch is reattached to the blind stomach and the "sleeve" stomach is made, with the remainder of the stomach removed completely.   The portion which is removed is the part of the stomach where the hunger hormone, Grehlin, is produced.  

Reconstructing the pouch back into a working stomach is a very complex surgery that only a handful of surgeons have the skill to perform.   It is for this reasons most surgeons will recommend the ERNY.     Because of its complexity, table time and issues with leaks,  the RNY to DS revision holds more risk for the patient than the RNY to ERNY. 

The DS forum would have the specifics on the differences.   If you post this same question there, you will get many answers from people who have opted for the full revision from the RNY to the DS and you can hear why they made their decision to do so.
Most Active