Curious?

Tigrlilly1
on 1/6/10 11:49 pm
How many here are seeking revision to DS? I have an appointment in Feb. with an excellent surgeon who does VSG and DS. There are things I love about both these surgeries, and things I am not sure about. I will consult with my surgeon and what she suggest to me will be very important in making my decision. But, I want to hear from you also. I have had MANY rny'ers tell me they wish they had had the DS but they were unaware of it or because of insurance was just not an option. Sad, as I know many personally who their rny failed them. Thanks to everyone
srooker
on 1/7/10 4:06 am - Port Byron , NY
Hi,

I am looking into the Ds right now ... did endoscopy and Upper GI is tomarrow meet with surgeon soon. Have researched the various options and the DS seems like it has the best long term results. The RNY can have upto a 40% failure rate (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19536053) in people with a BMI of >50, thats good enough reason for me right there. Just make sure you get a qualified surgeon (http://www.dsfacts.com/duodenal-switch-surgeons.html) in your area.

Scott
Tigrlilly1
on 1/7/10 5:22 am
Scott, Thanks for responding. I am meeting with a DS surgeon and she is excellent. I have been leaning to DS for quite some time. I was just curious about some of the VSG'ers to see if they wished they had completed the process as it is the first part of the DS.
 I have a lower bmi but feel I should have no problem due to co-morbs.

I will be traveling 10-12 hours to get my DS and I am fine with that. I feel the DS is best for me as I love all the fatty stuff and I can't picture myself eating low-fat and counting calories for the rest of my life. I realize I will still need to be accountable. Esp. carbs but I do feel Ds is the best WLS option available.
                  Best of luck to you in your journey!
liveinphx
on 1/7/10 8:44 pm - Phoenix, AZ
On January 7, 2010 at 1:22 PM Pacific Time, Tigrlilly1 wrote:
Scott, Thanks for responding. I am meeting with a DS surgeon and she is excellent. I have been leaning to DS for quite some time. I was just curious about some of the VSG'ers to see if they wished they had completed the process as it is the first part of the DS.
 I have a lower bmi but feel I should have no problem due to co-morbs.

I will be traveling 10-12 hours to get my DS and I am fine with that. I feel the DS is best for me as I love all the fatty stuff and I can't picture myself eating low-fat and counting calories for the rest of my life. I realize I will still need to be accountable. Esp. carbs but I do feel Ds is the best WLS option available.
                  Best of luck to you in your journey!
I am a successful VSG person who does not wish I had the DS instead.
I am about 18 mos out (surgery Jun 2008).
I am about 20 lbs below my original goal and have maintained easily for the past 8 mos.
I do not eat low fat or count calories and have no need to. I am mindful of carbs but that would be true even if I had the DS. Having said that I am mindful of carbs does not mean that I deliberately eat low or no carb.  For the most part I do not eat much bread or pasta not because of the carbs but because I don't much like them. I do eat regular and sweet potatos, I do eat rice (I prefer brown). I have ice cream on occassion (real ice cream) and occassionally eat cookies and cake.
I do not restrict my fat intake and eat real mayo, real cheese and butter. There is no food that I "can't" eat or that I do not allow myself to eat.
I take a multivitamin and calcium daily and my labs are all great.
I am not dissing the DS I think it is a fine procedure and many many folks have been successful with it. I have no problem with the DS.
I am responding to your request asking if any VSG folks wish they had the DS.
My experience has been that when I post of my VSG success I get responses predicting my future failures or questioning my veracity.
DS folks are vigilant in educating others about the  success and good points of the DS procedure as well they should be. I think it is also important to educate others about successful VSG stories
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
Tigrlilly1
on 1/7/10 9:47 pm
Thank you and that's what I was wondering. I have been over to the VSG board and see alot of happy people there.But they have not had thier surgeries for more than 2-3 years.
           I was also under te impression from what I saw everyone posting that they followed a very low fat,low carb. low calorie diet. I despise low fat or fat free anything! (except Twizzlers) LOL I think both are excellent surgeries and since I am pre-op, I was doing a little more investigating. I can't find much on the vsg diet here on OH.Except what people post. I hope you don't think I was disssing the VSG, Iam seeking more info. and I appreciate your response. So far, no VSG person has said they wish they would have had the DS. OOPS!! I take that back, a couple of days ago on the main board a vsg'er did response to melting momma saying she was tired of dieting and said, give me a ds. She could have been joking. Thanks much. You response has helped me.
liveinphx
on 1/7/10 10:23 pm - Phoenix, AZ
On January 8, 2010 at 5:47 AM Pacific Time, Tigrlilly1 wrote:
Thank you and that's what I was wondering. I have been over to the VSG board and see alot of happy people there.But they have not had thier surgeries for more than 2-3 years.
           I was also under te impression from what I saw everyone posting that they followed a very low fat,low carb. low calorie diet. I despise low fat or fat free anything! (except Twizzlers) LOL I think both are excellent surgeries and since I am pre-op, I was doing a little more investigating. I can't find much on the vsg diet here on OH.Except what people post. I hope you don't think I was disssing the VSG, Iam seeking more info. and I appreciate your response. So far, no VSG person has said they wish they would have had the DS. OOPS!! I take that back, a couple of days ago on the main board a vsg'er did response to melting momma saying she was tired of dieting and said, give me a ds. She could have been joking. Thanks much. You response has helped me.
There a few VSG folks that are more than 2 yrs post op. Try posting that question on the VSG board.
Many folks on the VSG board do talk about "low" everything, many of them are new post op just as many DS folks early out talk about restricting carbs, calories etc.
Different folks have different experiences with different procedures to be sure. I have seem post op DS folks having problems with re-gain, gastric issues, restricting carbs etc just like any other procedure. 
There is magic answer and it is critical that folks realistically weigh (yes the pun is intended) the pros and cons of each procedure and decide what works best for them.
I would encourage you to look at each post carefully and take in to consideration how far out the poster is from surgery, whichever surgery.
My eating habits at 18 mos post op and maintaining are very different from 18 days or 18 weeks post op.
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
smileyjamie72
on 1/7/10 5:54 am - Palmer, AK
Yes, here is one RNY'er that was unaware of the superior DS.
Currently looking into a revision from my RNY (almost 8 years ago) to the DS.

There is info & insight in my profile as well.  And click under my picture... "Latest Posts"  Good links there, too.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
Research, Research, RESEARCH!!!!!!!!  I cannot stress this enough!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Tigrlilly1
on 1/7/10 5:58 am
Thanks!!!
(deactivated member)
on 1/8/10 3:21 am - Bayonne, NJ
Hi,

I just had the RNY to DS revision on Dec. 21.  I never lost all the weight, and I had a severe complication from the RNY.

SInce I didn't lose all the weight with RNY (and my pouch never grew) I figured that the DS would give me the malabsorption I needed to get the weight off. The long-term results on the DS board are stellar. Many RNYers I know have regained, maybe not all, but enough to be unhappy. The VSG, while good, probably wouldn't have made much of a difference for me.

The Ds wasn't covered in 2003 when I had RNY, and most of the RNY surgeons would put down the DS. I'm really glad I found Dr. Greenbaum and had the revision.  I had my post-surgical follow up today and I lost more than I did at my post surgical follow up in 2003. I'm 7 years older,  120 lbs lighter, and still managed to get rid of that weight. Amazing.

Adele
Most Active