Need help/ Any advice or input appreciated-thanks

tashitakag
on 1/9/10 2:01 pm - long beach, MS

Hi lesley,

what is the DS? Im resurching which surgery to go with

Kerry J.
on 1/6/10 5:52 am - Santa Clara, UT
Look into getting a revision to DS, it's a much better option than RNY unless you enjoy being on a diet for the rest of your life. There's just not enough malabsorption with RNY to be of much help in keeping the excess weight off unless  you revise to ERNY and that is also not a good option as it has about the same amount of malabsorption as the DS plus all the associated pouch problems from RNY it is not a good choice.

I had RNY for 28 years so I know what I'm talking about, you can read all about what I've been through on my profile if you want the details. But the long and short of it is that I had the gastric bypass done in 1980 and I lost my excess weight, then had to fight like crazy to keep it off, I managed to do it for 15 years with diet and lots of exercise, but when I got sick and couldn't exercise, the weight came back.

I got the revision to DS Sept. 2008 and it's like I'm in heaven, I can eat like a normal person, I've lost the excess weight and I don't have to diet and exercise to keep it off; it's fantastic. My only regret is that I waited so long to get the revision.

Kerry
Leannta2009
on 1/7/10 6:23 am, edited 1/7/10 6:26 am - Fulton, NY

Lately I have been thinking I am crazy for even considering a revision does it me I am a failure-I don't know. I know I have had 3 pregnancies and gained a lot of weight with all of them, after my first pregnancy I lost all but 15 lbs of what I gained, my second-I still had 50 pounds to lose when I got pregnant for my 3rd and now I have 65 pounds to lose-it doesn't sound like much compared to what I used to be though-kind of sad. How quickly did you lose with the revision to the DS, how hard of a procedure was it-I read somewhere you are in the hospital for 7 days after? How was your insurance in approving you revision-what hoops (if any did you have to jump through). Please any info is appreciated? 

Also I should say after Ihad my first pregnancy and lost the weight-I worked out 7 days a week-6 days in the gym and one day outside the gym-plus hardly ate at all-I can't do that now b/c of my 3 babies! I missed a lot of time with my son b/c I was at the gym so much and I regret losing the time with him (he is now 4 1/2 years and I am trying to make up for lost time now I have 3 to juggle with everything else!).

Thank you very much-have a good evening.
Leslie

Kerry J.
on 1/7/10 8:52 am - Santa Clara, UT
 Hi Leslie,

I don't think you're a failure because you had a weight regain; if that were the case then I would be a failure too as well as thousands of other RNY patients *****gain; it's a very common problem. It has a lot to do with what the surgery does for you; it gives you a restriction in how much you can eat for about a year and that's all it really does for you. After a year or so, almost all RNYers can eat enough to regain and because there is little malabsorption with RNY, it's very difficult to maintain your initial loss. I know this very well as I had to work like crazy to keep the weight off after the first year of RNY and it was only because of my diligence in sticking to a diet and exercising that I was able to do it. As soon as I couldn't exercise, I started to regain and ended up weighing the same as I did when I started.

I was in the hospital for 7 or 8 days because I had to have a second surgery three days after the first revision. The reason I had to have the second surgery was because of some damage to my stomach from the staples pulling out or tearing my stomach way back in 1981. 

I didn't have any insurance; I self paid to get the revision to DS, so I can't help you with that question.

Only you can decide if a revision is the right thing; but I would advise you to meet with one of the DS surgeons and see what they have to say.

I would be happy to answer any other questions I can help with,

Kerry

srooker
on 1/6/10 10:00 pm - Port Byron , NY
Leslie,

If your looking into a revision, you should consider a Duoendal Switch (DS), there are two surgeons fairly close to you (us, I live near Auburn, NY) .... one is Dr. Micheal Hill in Saranac Lake, NY 1-518-897-2531 and the other is Dr. William O'Malley in Rochester 1-585-341-6543. I am working on getting on to see Dr. O'Malley he requires the original surgical report and upper GI before he sees you, just a heads up. I am tring to get revisied from a VBG I had in the late 80's to a DS and if he cant do it for whatever reason then I will call Dr. Hill, but I am committed on getting the DS.

Here is some food for thought:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19536053
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15826478
http://www.dsfacts.com/
http://www.duodenalswitch.com/

Keep intouch and Best of luck
Scott
Leannta2009
on 1/7/10 4:00 am - Fulton, NY
Thank you I appreciate your post I have gotten the chance to check out these surgeons-are you sure they do revisions? I checked out Fingerlakes Weight Loss Program in Auburn (Dr. Weiss?) and they don't do revisions? I will check it out and it is good to have some surgeon names b/c I really wasn't sure where to go with this this time. When you have a revision you can change to a different procedure-they don't just revise your previous surgery? I had RNY for my first procedure thought maybe a band would help but I will look into the DS. Are revisions hard to get insurance approval on?
Good luck to you.
Leslie
srooker
on 1/7/10 5:24 am - Port Byron , NY
Leslie,

No, Dr.Weiss doesnt do them (was there today ... wife has lapband) he is going to do my aftercare. I called both Dr. O'Malley and Dr. Hill's office and they said they both do revisions ... to what is on a case by case basis, but if your persistant, you can probably get the one you want especially if you go in and tout result of the surgery you want. I am choosing Dr. O'Malley because he has done like 3000 surgeries (not all DS) and does them laproscopically .... besides he's closer, also a plus. But if he wont do what I want I am gonna give Dr. Hill's office a call. They are the only 2 that are close. Hell, I'll call Dr. Husted in Kentucty if I have to ... I know he revises to the DS and he's one of the best in the country.

Scott
Leannta2009
on 1/7/10 6:16 am - Fulton, NY
Thank you very much you have been very helpful, I read in a previous post that the DS is so much better than RNY-and that you can get a revision from RNY to DS-so now I am hopeful. I just get nervous about all the insurance hassle (possible). But hopefully all will go smoothly-when I had surgery before I traveled to PA for a particular surgeon that came highly recommended but now he is in Tennessee and I have children and would not be able to travel this time.

Have a good evening. Thanks for your help.
Leslie
villsm1
on 1/24/10 11:21 am
I know exactly how you feel! Dont feel bad you had babies, you got SOME JOY out of this. Imagine if yiu were like mw gained all your weight back w/ no kids, no excuses just eating like a crazy person again! I hag RNY LAP in 2004 and I have gained almost all my wright back. The sad thing for me is the first step to a revision to make an appt with any WLS Dr. and get your pouch checked out. I did and was told my pouch was still as small as it was suppose to be 2.5 - 3inches?? Anyone else every been tols this? How do you get around that?
Most Active