Revisions from the Band . . .what did you chose???

kittenqutie
on 1/3/10 1:02 pm, edited 1/3/10 1:18 pm - Phoenix, AZ
OKAY . . .I got Banded on "Fat Tuesday" 2008 and it was a great ride until I hit the wonderful world of REFLUX.  That started around 10 months in Band life and it has gotten progressively worse ever since.  I am considering a revision and was wondering if anyone on this forum was once an "Bander" any now in the world of well something else????

If there are any of you out there can you give me some insight as to why you chose RNY or DS or the "SLEEVE"??  How your journey has gone and if life is better on the other side???

I an just scared that things may only get WORSE!!!

PS. Thanks to those who directed me to the Revisions Forum!!!

USAF Wife
on 1/3/10 2:07 pm

I'm a band to sleeve revision patient, and I can tell you why I chose VSG instead of RNY for my personal lifestyle when I knew I had to revise.

1) No intestinal rerouting
2) Regain stats for RNY scared me considering that the malabsorptive aspect of the surgery only lasts for 18-24 months (meaning you'll possibly be able to eat everything again without ill side effects)
3) VSG-I was a volume eater before and knew that a restrictive only procedure would work for me.
4) VSG- The ability to eat what I want without ill side-effects such as dumping with RNY
5) RNY-The band didn't bode well with me, I didn't want another pouch to deal with.
6) RNY -Having a "blind" stomach left in there that can not be scoped, or seen for diagnostic was not something I was willing to deal with
7)  VSG- Removing that large portion of the stomach that produces the hunger hormone "ghrelin". I still never feel actual hunger, I just know that I need to eat.

Now that I am 7 months post-op from my revision, I can honestly tell you that VSG is a fabulous tool. You can "eat" your way around any of the WLS choices so it is a complete lifestyle change in addition to surgery. I can eat 3-4oz of dense protein, a couple of bites of veggies, or carbs. I'm at goal now so I can actually have a more balanced diet so I can maintain my loss. I am able to get all my protein from food sources, and my blood work has been perfect at my 2 month, 3.5 month, and my 6 follow ups. It's really a personal decision, but I checked out RNy, have several friends who have undergone RNY, and gained weight back around years 4-6. I wanted a procedure that would give me instant restriction, and remove my hunger. I dropped 114lbs in 6 months with the sleeve, and am just now entering the maintaining stage. I know all "newbies" love their surgery choice, but for me, the VSG was the only option for my lifestyle.

DS was not an option for me because I do not believe for my lifestyle, or my body did I want or need a malabsorptive procedure. So, I never considered it. I read about it, the good, bad and ugly, but it was not something that I personally would choose for my life, or my body.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

kittenqutie
on 1/5/10 5:56 am - Phoenix, AZ
I have a friend tha revised to Sleeve and she really wants me to look into it.  But a part of me feels that one restrctive procedure was unsuccessful so it might happen again. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me, it was VERY helpful!

deannag70
on 1/5/10 11:05 am - Grapevine, TX
Revision on 10/21/13
That was my biggest worry however I don't think that the band was completely restrictive for me.  I'd eat a few bites, I'd wait, it'd go into my big tummy.  I'd eat a few bites (fill my pouch), then it would slide into my big tummy.  My big tummy told me when I was hungry - not my pouch.  Now I don't have a big tummy for it to slide into!
Ms. Cal Culator
on 1/4/10 1:06 am, edited 1/4/10 1:07 am - Tuvalu

I had done "fairly well" with the band for the first year I had it.   Then things stated moving downhill.  I knew I didn't want the RnY--dumping, no eating with meals, not being able to scope the remnant stomach.  (My friends with RnY were forever wanting to "taste" something someone else--a DSer a pre-op--had ordered...a drink, a dessert, that kind of thing.  I felt that they were feeling at least a bit deprived.)

The sleeve wasn't as popular in 2005 when I revised, but I was aware of it.  I did not pursue that option because I had already been through three years with something that worked and then didn't work.  Logic says that the sleeve will eventually stretch and I feared that I would end up back at Square One.  

That left the DS.  It's been four years.  I have done FAIRLY well, considering that I'm a revision and I've since had several issues that required LOTS of prednisone.  I lost about 75% of my excess weight and then had a SLEW of medical issues (did I mention I'm old?) that left me loaded and on the couch for MONTHS.  I gained weight during that period and I'm at 60% of EWL right now.  I had my last (I hope) surgery three weeks ago and hope to get clearance to go back to the gym to make up for all the sitting/napping I've done for the last six months.  

BTW...while leading a minimally active life, maintaing that 75% EWL was not a problem, even without a gym.  It only became problematic when I was on steroids and could not move without a walker...and even then it hurt like hell.  I'm still sedentary and it's tough to not gain weight when you barely move.  But I feel that the DS has helped me more than any other choice might have under these conditions.

Good luck on your decision-making.

Sue

kittenqutie
on 1/5/10 5:58 am - Phoenix, AZ
Everything I'm finding is making DS look like the wonder surgery. . .but I'm still undecided I think it's going to come down to a knock down drag out fight between DS and RNY. . .who will be the victor I will keep you posted 

emjayel56
on 1/4/10 2:15 am - Boynton Beach,, FL

Hello, sorry to hear about the reflux. I can surely relate.  I had lapband for 8 years, then a year decided to replace the lapband with another lapband (poor choice) because like you i had reflux, also had spasms of esopaghus, dilated esophagus and eventually a slipped band.  Over the course of the 9 years I lost 50 lbs prior to band and then about 35 lbs (up and down) with the bands.  In August of this year I had a revision done from band to bypass.  I LOVE the bypass and wish I would have done this years ago.  I have since then lost an additional 51 lbs (more than 9 years with the bands) for a total loss of 133 lbs. with 25 lbs to go to goal!!  I have no problems or regrets; the procedure was done laparascopically.  I follow my nutritional guide religiously.

There are several options available to you and it is a personal choice which one is best for you.  For me, I chose the RNY and glad I did.  I would give you one bit of advice whatever you decide:  it is imperative that you have an experienced surgeon in REVISIONS.  Revisions can be triky so that's the best thing you can have going into the procedure.  I was frightened of the RNY for years which is why I chose band; I have no regrets at all.

Good luck to you; if you have any specific questions please pm me.

Maryjo

BELOW GOAL WEIGHT... LOST 151 LBS AND CURRENTLY WEIGH 138 LBS.  ... Maryjo

kittenqutie
on 1/5/10 6:00 am - Phoenix, AZ
I am ALL about research. . .I have been quietly lurking and I decided the only way to get my questions answered was to speak uo so thank you for your insight and encouragement!!

sreed1966
on 1/4/10 2:43 am - Livonia, MI
I was banded in 2003. I just had my revision to the sleeve last week. So far, so good...! I agree with everyone else on why we opted for the sleeve. I had really good luck with restriction, just not the band because of reflux. I didn't want my intestines rerouted. I like going out and having the occasional ****tail with friends. Malabsorbtion scared me a bit.
Everyone has to choose for themselves, and what works for me, might not work for the next person. Look at all the options. Look at your lifestyle, and how you like to live. Make the choice that will let you live as close to the way YOU want as possible....Good Luck!!

Lapband 2003 - Lost 85 lbs...
Revision to VSG 12/09

kittenqutie
on 1/5/10 6:02 am - Phoenix, AZ
I hope your revision goes well, I'm sure it will.  I have a friend *****vised to the sleeve and has been greatly successful so you'll do just fine, congrats!

Most Active