Read Band Bashing thread-cross post (need a HUG!)

Journey O.
on 1/3/10 4:33 am

Just read an incredibly long thread on the main board that was primarily band bashing.  9 days out from my BOB revision, with a boyfriend and others against this as well....  I want to curl up in bed and CRY.

Geez...  I remember this same crap when I was walking up the RNY gauntlet. I just forgot how hurtful, confusing and absolutely damaging it can be.

Don't know why I read it.  I'm a smart person, understand some people are educated and knowledgeable and share opinions constructively and others are just (*&*&^&^&^%^$#$$%^^ people that are insensitive and convinced it is their way or no way.

I could easily take a set of statistics in regard to ANY of the WLS surgeries and present them in a way that would convince anybody that the surgery was ineffective if not downright EVIL.

I don't think it is the band bashing that upsets me the most (though I'm uber discouraged right now), it is the lack of compassion, insults and insensitivity "just to be right" inflicted on everyone else that is so hurtful.

We are ALL in the same boat at different points in our journey and there is no RIGHT way. 

Sorry to waste your time, just REALLY sad.

Revision: 1/12/2010-Dr. Zapata;  (338 RNY) HW 245/SW 215/CW 193 / GW 170
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." ~Nietzsche~

PekinSal
on 1/3/10 4:46 am - UK
I think its dangerous to make a god of any surgery or any surgeon. None of them are perfect, none are 100% and ideally none of us would need surgery in the first place. If there was some pill we could take that would mean we all lost 100% of our excess weight we'd all be agreeing it was the thing to do. Sadly that doesn't exist and probably never will.

I think on this board you get a more rounded perspective - we are past the pollyanna 'isn't my surgery marvellous' stage and just hoping that what we revise to might work. 

DS revision from failed lapband

liveinphx
on 1/3/10 7:44 am - Phoenix, AZ
What really puts me over the edge is when folks that have had a different procedure from the poster tell them they are doomed to fail, that they are stupid for having made the choice to have "xwz" procedure instead of the one the poster had.
Worse yet is when a poster is proud of the success they have had with their choice of surgical procedures other posters dismiss their successes saying it  will not last.
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
Journey O.
on 1/3/10 11:24 am, edited 1/3/10 11:26 am

OMG... I just read the below post on the main board.  Unbelievable.  I have no idea what the thread was about but I'm still amazed.  I know it's the Internet and there are freaks everywhere but still in shock.  I guess my little "feel so bad about band  bashing" was pretty lame when you read this stuff.  I don't need a hug anymore ... maybe a glass of wine.

The person that suggested I stay off the main board was very smart and I think I need to listen!!!  I admit it isn't the best that I repeat it here and I apologize to all.  I just needed to point out that the whole band bashing was nothing and I was being pretty naive!

Post Date: 1/3/10 6:03 pm
Well maybe, just maybe if you would STFU and stop posting **** stirring topics like this, then it would all stop. You sure aren't helping things out by allowing your overwhelming stupidity to hang out like this. Crawl back in your hole and plug your pie hole you stupid fatass crusty assboil. Don't know what an assboil is? Really? That stupid are we? Look in your mirror if you can stand it. That is an assboil.

Revision: 1/12/2010-Dr. Zapata;  (338 RNY) HW 245/SW 215/CW 193 / GW 170
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." ~Nietzsche~

sreed1966
on 1/3/10 10:56 pm - Livonia, MI
I honestly think people post *(%$ like that because something is missing from their own life, and they need to make others feel as bad as they do. Remember, Misery LOVES Company!! I feel very sorry for them, because they must be just self-loathing, no self-esteem individuals who need to lash out to make them feel better and stronger. (Course they will NEVER admit this..it's like an addict not admitting they have a drug problem.)

Please, please don't let people like this upset you. You are in a better place than they are, and jealousy isn't pretty!!

Lapband 2003 - Lost 85 lbs...
Revision to VSG 12/09

Ms. Cal Culator
on 1/4/10 12:53 am - Tuvalu

I don't know WHICH band-bashing thread you are thinking about, but there should be more...at least for pre-ops to read.

And,yes..you could play a little game with statistics to compare the surgeries, but the band will always be the one that promises the most and delivers the least...and that's because there is big Pharma money involved in advertising.  

Good luck on your procedure, but don't lose a lot of sleep over those LapBand bashings...if they had been around eight years ago, maybe I would not have wasted $15,000 and three years of my life and endangered my health by trying that "least invasive" procedure.  It gets pretty invasive when they have to yank that sucker out and repair the damage.

Most Active