Lost control and I do know what to do.

nay_nay45
on 12/31/09 10:55 am - Wilson, NC
Before having RNY in 2003 I weighed 296 lbs, I lost 90 lbs. After losing my insurance I was unable to continue with the support of my surgery family. Things continued to snowball in my life, I tore a ligament in my left knee, and had to have surgery to repair it. I finally got insurance but the there was the pre-existing condition issue, next my employer switched insurance. I lost my husband due to death in 2008. Now after all this I finally have stable insurance but I have gained 55 lbs. back. I want to have a revision but I am not sure which one would be best for me. I am asking, and checking all boards, and forums here on OH.
Rene'e
PekinSal
on 1/1/10 5:31 am - UK
Hi Rene'e and welcome

I'm sorry you've had such a rough few years, I hope 2010 is a better one for you.

In terms of weight, the first thing is probably to go back to your surgeon and seek advice. Putting weight back on might be either because of failure of your surgery - like the food is going through too fast for example.

While you are sorting that out I would be asking what you are eating, and whether this is different from when you first had the surgery, and if you can change this. I don't know the rules for RNY, but perhaps post on the RNY board and seek help there too. If there is any way you can avoid a revision it would be better to try it, because second surgeries are more complex and risky than first ones.

Dr Husted posted a good guide to the various sorts of revisions, but basically you can have your RNY 'improved' in some way (like pouch resizing, or a band on top) or have the RNY reversed and have the DS instead. There are quite a few people on the DS board who were formerly RNY people so again, ask there if you want their experiences.

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

nay_nay45
on 1/1/10 7:05 am - Wilson, NC
Thsnks Sal.
nay_nay45
on 1/8/10 1:40 am, edited 1/8/10 1:41 am - Wilson, NC
I have an idea! I will try to jump-start my initial RNY by reverting back to the routing I was on after surgery.Thats right ensure!
Most Active