Looking for Surgeon expereinced in RNY-to-DS revision

MaryJoPowell
on 1/1/10 6:40 am - Sherwood, OR
Hi!
I had a RNY gastric bypass 6 years ago and have regained more than half of the weight I lost (I didn't loose more than 70% of extra weight.)  I am interested in undergoing a RNY-to-DS revision and am having difficulty finding information on reputable surgeons that are expereinced in this procedure.  I live in Portland, Oregon but certainly don't want to limit my options to this area so I'm expanding my search to Washington State as well (even Northern California).

I'm hoping that some of you might be able to help me find info, or that you've had expereince of this sort (or know someone that has). 

THANK YOU!!!!!! 

-Mary
(deactivated member)
on 1/1/10 8:41 am - Bayonne, NJ
There are only about 4 names that are recommended nationwide for RNY to DS revision surgery.

There are two in California:

John M. Rabkin, MD, FACS
Pacific Laparoscopy
2250 Hayes Street, 3rd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94117
Phone: 415-668-3200 or 1-888-848-8446 toll free
Fax: 415-668-2010
Email: [email protected]

Ara Keshishian, MD, FACS *
Email: [email protected]
Central Valley Bariatrics
Phone: 1-800-816-6647 toll-free
Fax: 661-725-8051

Central Valley Office:
Delano Regional Medical Arts Building
1205 Garces Highway, Suite 303
Delano, CA 93215

Greater Los Angeles Office:
1808 Verdugo Blvd., Suite 319
Glendale, CA 91208

Good luck to you. :)
MaryJoPowell
on 1/1/10 10:28 am - Sherwood, OR
THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!
Kerry J.
on 1/1/10 9:51 am - Santa Clara, UT
Hi Mary,

Dr. Rabkin did my revision from a 1980 gastric bypass to DS; it's a difficult operation and there are only a few surgeons in the country who have the skill and experience to do it safely. The two in CA listed above are both great choices as is Dr. Greenbaum in New Jersey; Dr. Husted in KY may still be doing RNY to DS revisions, but I'm not too sure about that.

If you have any questions I'll be happy to try and help.

Kerry

MaryJoPowell
on 1/1/10 10:30 am - Sherwood, OR
Thank you Kerry!!!!!  I'm so grateful for the info!  I had no idea there were so few qualified surgeons.  I'm very interested in this procedure...so it's good to have those name!  A huge relief! 
DinNJ .
on 1/1/10 10:50 am - Denville, NJ
There are quite a few surgeons skilled in revision surgery but it's important to do extensive research and find a surgeon with a lot of experience in the specific revision surgery you are looking for. I had a RNY to DS revision in 2004 after regain from a RNY in 1998. My surgeon was Dr. Gagner and we was with Weill Cornell at the time. He is no longer there, i'm not sure where he's practicing, although it's rumored he's coming back to NYC. Dr. Pomp is now the chief of minimally invasive surgery at Weill and is one of the top revision doctors in the world. I think Dr. Gagner is probably the top in the world.

There are plenty of websites dedicated to revision surgery. Please feel free to contact me if you have questions.

Good Luck and Happy New Year.

David 
My Weight-Loss Roller Coaster Journey:  425#-Open RNY in 1998-----> 250#-Lowest post-RNY Weight in 2000-----> 325#-DS Revision-LAPROSCOPIC in 2004-----> 192#-Current Weight as of August 2009 for a grand total of **233** pounds lost!  
dana712
on 1/1/10 11:24 am
Dr Pomp does revision RNY to DS? I e-mailed Gagner and he said he is on vacation till Jan 4.
tracell
on 1/1/10 1:40 pm
Where is Dr Gagner now located?  I kow that he was in NYC and then moved on to Florida, but have read several places that he was coming back to NYC area.  Thank you for all of your help.

Tracy
Kerry J.
on 1/2/10 12:45 am - Santa Clara, UT
I sure hope Gagner is going to settle down and start a regular practice; he's been flitting around the globe for about a year now.

I agree that he's an excellent cutter, but I'm not impressed with his after care for his patients. He may well be a good a cutter as Rabkin, Keshishian and Greenbaum, but he no where near as good a surgeon to go to to make sure you get what you need after the cutting is done. The cutting is the easy part, the rest of your life is where the rubber really hits the road and Gagner needs to get his crap together before I would consider him to be in the same class as Rabkin, Keshisian and Greenbaum. 

Kerry
tracell
on 1/2/10 3:22 am
I have been a patient of Dr. Greenbaum's had all of the testing done, but my insurance changed as of January 1st and no out of network benifits.  I now have MVP, so I need to find a doctor that takes that but I will not go to just anyone.  I believe that you need to check the surgeon out.  I really wanted to stay with Dr. Greenbaum and maybe in time I will be able to see him again.  His office has never heard of MVP insurance, I thought they were well known but I guess not.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again

Tracy
Most Active