Need some serious advice!!!!

daizygurl27
on 12/31/09 3:56 am, edited 12/31/09 3:58 am - Shinnston, WV
I had the lapband in 2007 I have not EVER lost any more then 30lbs total and that was yo yoing
I'm going in to speak with my doctor jan. 19th about a possible revision.  I need some opinons please.

First here is my reasons for wanting my revision:

-the obvious i want to lose weight
-i constantly slime and my food always comes back up (still no weight loss)
-sometimes i cant even swallow water
-i'm miserable and my health conditions are getting worse

--For those whom have applied is this enough for most doctors and insurance companies?  If not what is?  Do any of you have federal blue cross blue shield?  What did you have to do to get your revision approved? How long does this normally take?   I'm pleading for some advice here.  I do not want to mess this up.  I'm afraid if I say one wrong thing I  will not get approved :(

***I HATE THIS BAND!!!!!!!  I work with SEVERAL people whom feel exactly the same

--DS/VERTICAL BAND/OR RNY?  What is your personal opinion?
--I had my surgery at Magee Hospital in PA thinking about trying to switch to Dr. Shinn in Charleston, WV  any advice here?

**My internet is down I am at work.  I do have a Blackberry if any of you have any advice please feel free to email me at [email protected]    and i will receive it immediately 

I would greatly appreciate ALL feedback!!!

Happy New Year!!!!!
PekinSal
on 12/31/09 5:26 am - UK
Hi

Can't help with insurance - had to pay for mine in the UK. Best advice would be to post an insurance question on the surgery board of your choice and see if anyone else had the same insurer as you.

As for choice of surgery, I chose DS because it has the best chance of success. Having failed at one surgery I didn't want to fail again. I also wanted a cure for my diabetes, because I was starting to go blind. I am now cured.

You need to find an experienced revision surgeon though, and I havent heard of Dr Shinn. A normal wls surgeon isn't necessarily the best person to ask, because revisions are more technical and risky. You would be better speaking to a surgeon who can offer all of the surgeries too and who will give you a choice, rather than restricting you to the only one he knows how to do.

I am shameless in loving my DS, but can't diss the other surgeries, never having had RNY or sleeve alone. I like being able to eat cold food, meat, drink cold milk from the fridge and not worry about fat intake. My DH is still banded and it makes him mad the way I can eat, but anything was better than the band in the end. I'm not at target just yet, but I have kept this weight now for 6 months effortlessly.

PM me if you have questions

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

pycca
on 12/31/09 7:36 am - Haslet, TX
I got mine covered by my insurance, but it was because of failure to loose and my co-morbidities
are not improved.  Also was having the same issues of not keeping ANYTHING down... some ins will some won't.  Of course they make you go thru the hoops again too!! LOL

I have had my band since 2005,,, enough was enough!!

I chose DS.   Wanted the diabetes to be gone, and hypertension.  Side benifit will loose more weight!

Debi

angibug
on 12/31/09 1:54 pm - Las Vegas, NV
I was in your same situation! You summed it all up...I had my band in June of 2006 and just had my revision to RNY on 12/11. I am 3 weeks out today and LOVING life! I am NEVER hungry and basically have to force myself to eat. Nothing gets stuck, I don't slime..there is just no words to explain how much better my life is now. Research all your options and you will be much happier when the damned band is out of your body. I have regular BCBS and was denied once for needing a new psych eval and consult with nut. After that was completed I was approved. Good Luck and hang in there.

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/10 1:18 am - Bayonne, NJ
If you still qualify weight-wise, it's probably going to be covered no problem. I just revised from RNY to Ds, and it was covered. I had a revision for a similar reason - the doctor who did my rny put a ring around the stoma, and everything came up. It causes esophageal erosion - an upper GI will show if that's happened to you.

As for surgery type, that's up to you. I went for the DS this time because I have a hard time keeping off weight. My body wants to be fat, I'm convinced. I figure the DS has better long-term statistics.

Good luck! start the ball rolling, get a doctor you can trust -  a good revision doctor - and start with the pre-op visits. I hope you've been documenting things montly with your primary, it makes is so much easier.
Most Active