Having Reversal ~~Questions

sassygrl
on 12/30/09 12:51 am - TX
Due to complications I am having my Lap Rny reversed. My surgery date has been set  for Monday .  I cannot find information on this surgery.   My surgeon says he is confident these will be a successful surgery. With the usual surgery risk.   What can I expect coming out of recovery ? What complications , test , etc will I need after surgery to know its successful. How long will it take for me to recover. Be up and around?  How long does it take to eat something other than liquids   As you can see any information would be appreciated.   Thank you   
vitalady
on 12/30/09 4:05 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
You didn't mention which doc or why you are having it taken down.

You asked how you'll know if it's successful, but then the flip side is how do you know what you have is NOT successful. KWIM? If you have vomiting now (take down is too drastic), and you don't vomit, but regain all your wt, was it a success?

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

sassygrl
on 12/30/09 7:15 am - TX
On December 30, 2009 at 12:05 PM Pacific Time, vitalady wrote:
You didn't mention which doc or why you are having it taken down.

You asked how you'll know if it's successful, but then the flip side is how do you know what you have is NOT successful. KWIM? If you have vomiting now (take down is too drastic), and you don't vomit, but regain all your wt, was it a success?
This is not a decsion that was made overnight. 

WLS gone wrong and reversals are more common than most people know.  Its not meant for everyone.

If I regain my weight, which is very probable,  at least My family and I will have our life back....
vitalady
on 12/30/09 11:30 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I asked because some ppl have been horribly butchered and so they have so many mechanical issues nothing you can do with behavior can change anything.

Some are malnourished and that CAN be fixed.

Some are tired of picking and choosing their food (kinda fits behavioral, but might be mechanical).

So, if butchered and the doc you've chosen can untangle the mess, then you'd know when you stopped having pain/vomiting or whatever you had.

If you were malnourished, I'm not sure you would notice results for at least a year and that's only with a complete take down. If the nutrition issues were because no one knew HOW to help, and they merely revise your procedure, you'll still have those issues.

If it's about being tired of the food choices, again, depends on whether it was mechanical (you'll see it) or behavioral. Might or might not.

Sometimes a take down is done and it didn't need to be. There is a lot of that here, same surgery I had, but the patients chose not to continue the nutrition program we were given, so they take down their Wls (another doc) and are surprised to find they still have nutrition issues AND they got considerable wt back again.

I've brought ppl to my doc from all over the country to have their guts untangled from the mess some amateur made OR their own bodies made a mess of a reasonable surgery. He's told me stories that made my hair stand on end. So, I do see the side of our world where ppl have been made so ill they cannot go on.

I referred one who had a 92, then 94 procedure. vomiting for over a decade and the last doc told her, "If you regain again, you're just a pig and no one can help you." I stomped my foot and insisted she be seen. With her antiquated procedure, the doc willingly went in to take a look. She wanted me to watch. Her stomach was flipped completely over itself! She was never EVER going to stop vomiting! She had a rough recovery, but true, she didn't vomit again and went right back to her "successful " wt of around 130. Good surgery, good result. But it took 3 tries.

That's why I was digging around. You asked the question, so I was trying to assemble the puzzle pieces. Didn't mean to pry too deep.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 12/30/09 9:48 am
Ok, now I know folks that revised to DS from RNY. I mention this because in order for that to be done correctly, they have to take down the RNY, then do the DS. It is a delicate procedure (piecing that cut up stomach back together is apparently tough), and only a handful of surgeons have much experience doing it.

Because of that, I would go to one of those DS revision surgeons even though you don't want to be revised to another surgery. They are the elite few who have pieced back hundreds of RNY stomachs, and the only ones I would trust to put your guts back to normal. Those tissues are delicate, and it takes finesse. Please make sure you have the best surgeons possible.
Renfairewench
on 1/2/10 10:46 am, edited 1/2/10 10:47 am
I cannot possibly imagine what sort of complications you are experiencing that would have you take down your WLS, but it must be huge. I had a revision from RNY to DS and though I didn't have any complications with my RNY I have had more than my share of complications from the DS. That being said, even though I have had issues and still continue and stuggle (after 5 months) to get fully healed there isn't anything that would convince me to have my DS taken down.

I was 430 when I had my RNY and 300 when I had a revision to DS. My hope, with fingers crossed, is to get to 150. Even if my weight dropped to being underweight I would drink protein drinks or high calorie meal replacements and do whatever I had to do. A reversal would be the furthest thing from my mind or decision.

Just my take on it.

I do want to say that just because you have your RNY taken down and you are put back anatomically pre RNY it doesn't mean that you won't have any more complications or issues. I do hope that whatever problems you are having will be resolved with a reversal. I am sorry that your complications have lead you to this drastic decision.

Maddie

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Most Active