Is there a surgery to go in and make stomach small again?

michv
on 12/27/09 8:26 am - Albany, OR
Ok I had RNY almost 2 years ago. Never have made it to goal weight. I know my stomach is streched and was wondering if anyone knows if they can go back in and make it small again. Does anyone have any experience or heard of anyone having something like this done? I am so depressed I just really want to finish what I started.

Thanks,
StacysMom
on 12/27/09 12:09 pm
 The problem with the RNY is that, even if you make the pouch small again, it will ultimately stretch out and the same problems will arise.   Stomas enlarge and pouches stretch - these issues are inherent with the RNY surgery.  

There are two ways to go with revising the RNY -  

(1)  shortening the common channel to the ERNY (Extended RNY), where you absorb less calories and nutrients form the food you eat and leave the pouch as it is, or

(2) the BOB procedure (Band Over Bypass).    

There are several people who post on this forum who have had these procedures with varying results and hopefully, they will see your post and chime in.    The ERNY can leave you subject to varying degrees of malabsorption issues (such as vitamin/mineral/protein deficiencies and their resultant ill effects); however, the band has its own issues and some cannot tolerate it.

Another way to go is to completely convert your surgery to the DS which has the highest degree of long term success and achievement/maintenance of excess weight lost.    Only a handful of surgeons have the skill and experience do it as a revision and IF this is the way you have decided to go, you MUST see one of them to get an honest answer as to whether or not you are a candidate for it.  

A surgeon who does not do this procedure will either tell you it cannot be done or convince you that it is dangerous for you and that "whatever he/she does" is safer/better, etc.

Many people have been converted from the RNY to the DS and some of them post on the revisions board, but you want to get the widest audience seeing your question about this surgery, post a query on the DS board and you'll get lots of answers.

Be sure and check out all of your options and decide which is the best way for you to go!   DON'T LET SOME DOCTOR DECIDE FOR YOU!!!
(deactivated member)
on 12/29/09 3:45 am - San Diego, CA
I had the band-over-bypass and am finally several pounds below my goal weight.  Feel free to ask me any questions as I love to share my experience thus far.   Good luck!
jonathan R.
on 12/29/09 11:37 pm - east meadow, ny
 You should look into either the ROSE procedure or BOB - band over bypass.  My surgeon Dr. Garber in NY does both of these.  Good luck!!!!!
Carol P.
on 1/9/10 4:50 am - Hollywood, FL
I just had the ROSE procedure done yesterday.  So far so good, but really can't tell how succesful yet.  I have a sore throat from the endoscope.  I will keep you posted.  Maybe in a few weeks I can tell you more about the results.
Most Active