Recovery time before going back to work

FindingAndrea
on 12/22/09 1:57 am - Waterbury Center, VT
Hello, I am having a lapband removed and converting to RNY. I took two weeks off when I had the lapband and could have used a third. I am a professor. Except when teaching I am mostly sitting doing computer work, reading student work etc.

Does anyone have suggestions for an ideal time off from work. My surgeon would like me to take a term off, 12 weeks and use my short term disability policy, but I am not sure yet if I can afford to do that.

Also, I am getting push back from my employer because the surgeon wants to do the surgery FEb 3rd which would cause major problems getting my classes covered. If I do it in March I can at least give my Deans time to plan the next class schedule to accomodate my recovery time with less disturbance to our students.

Thanks,

Andrea

Ticker

Create Your Own Ticker

hillofbeans
on 12/22/09 2:28 am
I had RNY to DS revision, and I went back to work in a little over two weeks. Keep in mind I have an office job, so I'm sitting most of the day. If I were standing and lecturing, I probably would have needed at least another week or two. Twelve seems like a little much.
FindingAndrea
on 12/22/09 2:30 am - Waterbury Center, VT
 Thanks for the response. I think twelve is too long too! I'll go for three to four. Happy Holidays!

Ticker

Create Your Own Ticker

Debbiejean
on 12/23/09 3:41 am - Shelbyville, MI

I'm a revision to RNY. (had stomach stapled in 1980)

Open RNY (had lots of scar tissue/adhesion's) Took 6 weeks off post op. 6 weeks was perfect for me, I work in a hospital, do lots of walking and did just fine.

FindingAndrea
on 12/23/09 3:45 am - Waterbury Center, VT
 Thanks for the response. Mine will be laproscopic. Most of the advice I'm getting is 3 week.s

Ticker

Create Your Own Ticker

Debbiejean
on 12/23/09 4:25 am - Shelbyville, MI
3 weeks is really good especially if you are lap. You should do fine.
strawberry28
on 12/23/09 5:16 am - somewhere, MD
Hi.
I just had a lapband to DS revision (lap).  I could have gone back to work this week, but the extra week is good to get used to your new tool...trying foods etc.  # weeks will be fine.

Good luck
SW= 268     
CW= 145  ***GOAL REACHED on Christmas Day 2010****             
GW=145
5'6"       BMI= 23
 LapBand 3/2006 to Revision DS 12/2009
Get the FACTS about the Duodenal Switch at www.DSFACTS.com or http://www.duodenalswitch.com/

Extended Tummy Tuck, BL/BA scheduled for 11/18/11 Dr. Larry Lickstein          

FindingAndrea
on 12/23/09 8:46 am - Waterbury Center, VT
 Thanks for the advice. It looks like you are doing really well. Congrats!

Ticker

Create Your Own Ticker

beth brown
on 12/27/09 8:51 am - Marshall, MO
Hi ,

I was just reading your post and it looks like you just had your DS...and you have lot 20 lbs right ?  That is great .

I am in the insurance process for a revision RNY/LAP in May of 04 and I have gaind most of my weight back . I am just wondering what your diet is like now , so fresh out of surgery l, what can you eat or what is the recommened food choices at this stage ?

Thanks , Beulah
strawberry28
on 12/29/09 1:07 am - somewhere, MD
Hi and thansk!

I eat chicken salad, turkey, salad, shrimp salad, deviled eggs, fried eggs with cheese, SF pudding, greek yogurt, meatloaf, basically any protein now.  Lots of cheese, it's my favorite snack.  I drink about 2 protein drinks per day as well.
SW= 268     
CW= 145  ***GOAL REACHED on Christmas Day 2010****             
GW=145
5'6"       BMI= 23
 LapBand 3/2006 to Revision DS 12/2009
Get the FACTS about the Duodenal Switch at www.DSFACTS.com or http://www.duodenalswitch.com/

Extended Tummy Tuck, BL/BA scheduled for 11/18/11 Dr. Larry Lickstein          

Most Active