Looking for Dr. Greenbaum revisions to DS...need advise

shar P.
on 12/22/09 12:05 am - sellersville, PA
I was hoping you could help me. My doctor at the University of Pa recommended a revision surgery for a failed roux en y I had about 6 years ago at 20. I have been conducting a lot of research and one person I keep seeing is Dr. Greenbaum's revision to a duodenal switch. My current Doctor does not perform this and I want to keep all my options open, and this seems like a much better/effective surgery!

I visited Dr. G and he was completely for the DS revision. However, I was in a group setting and felt a bit uncomfortable and rushed. This is such a big decision. I have been going about getting all pre-op tests and am at the point where I need to make up my mind on the procedure or not. SO my questions are:

1. Has anyone had Dr. G for a revision to a DS and how was he? Is he a good surgeon?

2. Has anyone had a revision to a DS and how is it going, what about complications?

Any help is sooo appreciated.

Sharlann
Nannette
on 12/22/09 1:32 am - Toms River, NJ
I am considering the same thing, but have sent Dr G two e-mails with no response to see if I am even a candidate before I make an appt and travel all the way down to his office, etc.

Any info he give on his criteria for a revision from RNY to DS?

Thanks
Nannette

Nannette
Lap RNY 6/16/03
Revise to DS 8/15/11

shar P.
on 12/22/09 9:24 pm - sellersville, PA
Nannette,

If anything I would give Tina a call at Dr. G's office. I tried e-mailing as well and did not get a response. If you call and tell her your situation I am sure they could set up a phone conference.
hillofbeans
on 12/22/09 1:46 am

There are several members who've had RNY to DS revision with Dr. Greenbaum. I read nothing but good things about him.

Try posting this on the DS board, where there are many Dr. G patients.

Good luck.

(deactivated member)
on 12/25/09 12:46 am - Bayonne, NJ
Hi Sharlann,

I'm in the hospital, waiting to go home from my revision.

I first contacted Dr. Greenbaum in July. He sent prescriptions for an upper gi & gall bladder ultrasound, which I had done at home. We talked via email - he answered me on a Sunday, and joked about  the great golf course in my city.

I didn't feel rushed until the end and that's because my job is changing insurance on Jan.1. I got approval on Dec. 10, let June know about the change, and took the 21st.

I didn't attend any support groups because i live an hour and a half away. My rny problem was such a disappointment that I wanted to make sure that I had the best for the revision, and only 3 or 4 names keep coming up on that list. Dr. Greenbaum was on there. So far so good, I'm doing well. forgive me if my typing is a bit off cause I'm still medicated.

You should make the decision that is right for you, remember that, and not what's good for others. The DS seems like it'll be great, but the revision is very serious. I made my decision for me without drinking the koolaid, lol.
Most Active