Revision Options

reenieb
on 12/21/09 2:01 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with

Hi everyone, I hope I can gain some insight by posting this - thanks for your time. My cir****tances: open RNY in 2004, lost over 200 lbs., have kept most of it off but have gained 22 lbs. in the past year. I suspect my stoma is dilated and my pouch somewhat stretched. I will be scoped at the end of the month to determine to what extent this might be true. My question - what are the revisions surgeries available to me from gastric bypass to ??? I am not interested in any of the endoscopic revisions - they do not work. I still weigh in at between 160-162, so don't know what I will qualify for. Thanks very much. Maureen

Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
vitalady
on 12/21/09 2:59 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
i;ll be here for you when you get to WA. Let me know so you can visit with several

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

reenieb
on 12/23/09 3:48 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Thanks Michelle, you will be one of the first people I hope to meet - can't wait! Maureen
levittown_loser
on 12/23/09 12:40 am - Levittown, PA
On December 21, 2009 at 10:01 AM Pacific Time, reenieb wrote:

Hi everyone, I hope I can gain some insight by posting this - thanks for your time. My cir****tances: open RNY in 2004, lost over 200 lbs., have kept most of it off but have gained 22 lbs. in the past year. I suspect my stoma is dilated and my pouch somewhat stretched. I will be scoped at the end of the month to determine to what extent this might be true. My question - what are the revisions surgeries available to me from gastric bypass to ??? I am not interested in any of the endoscopic revisions - they do not work. I still weigh in at between 160-162, so don't know what I will qualify for. Thanks very much. Maureen

I don't know how tall you are but at 165lbs. you would need to be under 4'9" to be a BMI or 35.   You will not quality for any surgery without comorbs at that!

To your original question ...

ANY WLS is available as a revision with the right revision surgeon.   Now what do most people with an RNY revise to?   

ERNY (if a surgeon can talk em into it)
DS
Lap Band (over the RNY or alone although that would be crazy)

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

(deactivated member)
on 12/23/09 1:09 am - San Jose, CA
Maureen just keeps posting the same whining post over and over and over again, hoping SOMEONE will give her a different answer, that will be one she wants to hear.  Since she has me blocked (she doesn't like what I have to say to her), please feel free to quote this post.

She doesn't qualify for any sort of revision.  She's got what she signed up for -- an RNY with the usual stoma and stretching issues and the usual and expected rebound weight gain (and this is probably just the first part) that she gets to struggle with like most other RNYers.  Until and unless she becomes MO again, or goes out of the country to a surgeon who will be happy to take her money no matter what her qualifications for surgery, she is not going to get a revision, at least not paid for by insurance.

I think these posts are just attention whoring at this point -- I mean really, how many times and in how many places is she going to post the same question?  Get back on your DIET Maureen -- that's the only answer you're going to get that is going to work for you.  And be HONEST when you post to the newbies about how your RNY has FAILED to work for you the way you naively hoped it would.  Stop crowing about how it worked for you in the beginning in some posts, while whining about how it has failed you in the long run in others.  That self-serving bull**** only hurts the newbies who need REAL information before chosing their surgery -- just because you are desperately trying to convince yourself that you didn't make a mistake chosing the RNY doesn't justify you misguiding others down the same garden path.
(deactivated member)
on 12/23/09 1:28 am
On December 23, 2009 at 9:09 AM Pacific Time, DianaCox wrote:
Maureen just keeps posting the same whining post over and over and over again, hoping SOMEONE will give her a different answer, that will be one she wants to hear.  Since she has me blocked (she doesn't like what I have to say to her), please feel free to quote this post.

She doesn't qualify for any sort of revision.  She's got what she signed up for -- an RNY with the usual stoma and stretching issues and the usual and expected rebound weight gain (and this is probably just the first part) that she gets to struggle with like most other RNYers.  Until and unless she becomes MO again, or goes out of the country to a surgeon who will be happy to take her money no matter what her qualifications for surgery, she is not going to get a revision, at least not paid for by insurance.

I think these posts are just attention whoring at this point -- I mean really, how many times and in how many places is she going to post the same question?  Get back on your DIET Maureen -- that's the only answer you're going to get that is going to work for you.  And be HONEST when you post to the newbies about how your RNY has FAILED to work for you the way you naively hoped it would.  Stop crowing about how it worked for you in the beginning in some posts, while whining about how it has failed you in the long run in others.  That self-serving bull**** only hurts the newbies who need REAL information before chosing their surgery -- just because you are desperately trying to convince yourself that you didn't make a mistake chosing the RNY doesn't justify you misguiding others down the same garden path.
While reading Maureen's posts on the main board, I had no idea that she was having trouble with her RNY???

If I were a newbie, I would have thought that her RNY was all good.

Michele
Nicolle
on 12/23/09 2:27 am
Yep. By reading her holier-than-thou and finger-wagging/DS-bashing posts on the MB you'd think she was blissfully happy with her RNY. Hmmm...doesn't add up to anything except lying to newbies and possibly, herself. Sad.

She IS right to try and nip the regain in the bud, but I think a revision might be premature at this point. No reputable surgeon would touch her for a revision unless she had diabetes or reactive hypoglycemia or another compelling health issue.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Elizabeth N.
on 12/23/09 2:49 am - Burlington County, NJ
She should go have Dr. Frankenheap revise her to his mini DS. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to take her money and butcher her.
reenieb
on 12/23/09 3:47 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Diana, so good to hear from you! Michele, the RNY is a great surgery option for many people - just as the DS is a great surgery option for many people. I have been and will continue to be completely honest in my posts with regard to al the different phases of this journey. Thanks for your third-person response, however! Best of luck to you, Maureen
Most Active