Aftercare fee???

prosperiti
on 12/20/09 2:56 am - Taylor , MI
Does anyone know if it is routine for to be charged an aftercare fee of $2,000 to $5000 for revision surgery from RNY to DS in addition to what your insurance will pay?? or is this just a Michigan thing??
Debbie M.
on 12/20/09 6:39 pm

When you say aftercare do you mean follow up appts. with your surgeon, support, etc. 

I've seen revision surgeons in California charge simiiar fees.

prosperiti
on 12/21/09 6:45 am - Taylor , MI
Hey Debbie thanks for responding...yes that is what they (Dr. office) refer to it as. Thats exactly what it is supposed to be for.   I don't even know if my insurance will approve me for this...I hope so. This is all so overwhelming... I really want the DS revision but if there is a fee I don't know. Thank God for the revision board and you guys...thanks again.
prosperiti
on 12/21/09 6:47 am - Taylor , MI
Hey Debbie what type of revision are you going to get? and what do you suggest??
Debbie M.
on 12/21/09 9:18 pm, edited 12/21/09 9:19 pm

I had an RNY in March 2002 - I lost 175 lbs, stayed there for about 5 minutes and the weight started piling back on.  I've come to the conclusion that a purely restrictive procedure doesn't work for me, I also need the malabsorption.  So I'm revising from an RNY to DS.   Check out www.dsfacts.com or www.duodenalswitch.com.  Also feel free to PM me if I can answer any questions.

Take care,

Debbie

prosperiti
on 12/21/09 11:22 pm - Taylor , MI
Hi Debbie, me again... did it take a long time to get approved through your insurance. I hear that DS is not as easily approved as the RNY revision...I have Federal BC/BS you think I will have a problem...I just dont want to settle for a revision that isn't gonna benefit me..I dont ever want to have to ever go through this again, and I want to reach my goal wt. I know from reading the boards that revision to the DS has a high success rate and thats what I want. I dont care about the fee. 
Debbie M.
on 12/22/09 8:52 am
I hear what you're saying.  Unfortunately my insurance didn't approve me so I'm self paying.  They'll be happy to approve an RNY revision, but why the hell would I want to revise a surgery that failed me.  I hope you'll have better luck.  There certainly are those out there that do have insurance companies that will cover it.
hillofbeans
on 12/22/09 2:00 am

I don't think the aftercare fee charge is a Michigan thing, I think it's a surgeon thing. Lots of revision surgeons do NOT charge any sort of program fee.

I think you should post this question on the DS board.

On the Fed BC/BS, my understanding is they use the guideline for whatever state you are having surgery in. For example, if you are having surgery in MI, they will use BC/BS of MI guidelines for revision. If you are going to KY, they will use KY's...etc, etc. This is definitely something to research before you submit. Some states BC/BS will not cover the DS, or have strict guidelines.

HTH

Most Active