Revision and repeat hair loss?

Bethicle
on 12/14/09 2:15 pm - Vancouver, WA
Hey everyone, I am new to the revision board. I've had my lap bad since may 2007 and I honestly loved it. I lost almost all my excess weight, I have about 30 pounds to loose. The problem is that my doctor recently told me that my band has slipped. So my choice is to take it out or get a revision. I am hoping to get the vertical sleeve.
My question is to people who have already had their revision surgeries...When I had my lap band surgery I lost quite a bit of hair, now two years later my hair is fianlly back to almost normal...I am so scared that I am going to loose my hair again, my hair is not as thick as it was before my surgery and i can not imagine losing as much as i did last time..Id be bald! When you guys had your revision surgeries did you lose your hair again, and if so was it as bad as the first time around?

Thanks!
Beth
ricki
on 12/14/09 7:27 pm
I know this is a big concern for many, if not, most who are about to embark on major surgery.  I have thick hair and the prospect of having less really didn't bother me but I did lose a lot with my original RNY in 94.. revision was in o6 to DS and I lost some but not nearly as much.  In both instances, it only lasted less than 6 months and completely grew back. (I guess, because I have too much hair, it's hard to say)  Because my hair is curly I don't bru**** or even comb it between shampoos, I just gel and scrunch.. so when I do wash my hair I get  what looks to me like a lot but is in reality just a normal amount of hair in the drain.  I'm almost 100% sure this is from not brushing it daily and not vitamin/deficiencies.  My labs are good.

I know a lot of people who wear wigs during the thin phase of hair loss and they are stunning.. I would do that if I needed to.  I think they are awesome and so much easier than caring for your own hair. 

Can you tell I'm a bit jealous of those who can wear wigs?  My head is too big for one.. either that or my hair is too thick to fit under the cap, so I'm left with dealing with my own hair.  And I'm not one who likes messing with hair.. I often get it cut very short to eliminate dealing with it.

I understand the wigs that are on the market now are much better than wigs were in the past.. so go for your surgery and don't sweat the smaller issue of hair.  You would wear glasses if you couldn't see well, wouldn't you?    Good luck to you!
(deactivated member)
on 12/15/09 10:16 pm - AZ
On December 14, 2009 at 10:15 PM Pacific Time, Bethicle wrote:
Hey everyone, I am new to the revision board. I've had my lap bad since may 2007 and I honestly loved it. I lost almost all my excess weight, I have about 30 pounds to loose. The problem is that my doctor recently told me that my band has slipped. So my choice is to take it out or get a revision. I am hoping to get the vertical sleeve.
My question is to people who have already had their revision surgeries...When I had my lap band surgery I lost quite a bit of hair, now two years later my hair is fianlly back to almost normal...I am so scared that I am going to loose my hair again, my hair is not as thick as it was before my surgery and i can not imagine losing as much as i did last time..Id be bald! When you guys had your revision surgeries did you lose your hair again, and if so was it as bad as the first time around?

Thanks!
Beth

Hair loss can be from the surgery itself or from the extreme change in diet.  I lost about 1/2 my hair with my band and nothing with my sleeve revision.  So I think in my case it was the extreme diet change.

Funny now that I think about it, I had a ton of hair living on Mickey D's but after I started eating a quality diet I lost my hair. ;o)

USAF Wife
on 12/21/09 2:26 pm
I lost very little hair after my band was placed. Now, with my revision, I started losing hair around the 3.5-4 month post-op mark, and it's finally slowing down now at 6.5 months post-op.

I had extremely thick, coarse hair before either surgery. Not much change with the band, but since my revision to the sleeve, I've lost about half of my hair's thickness. I do have new growth that is about 1-1.5 inches long. I have all of these baby hairs around my hairline, and little hairs sticking up around my part.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Most Active