The band can ALSO be revised to the DS. (And you get to eat and drink at the same time!!)

Ms. Cal Culator
on 12/11/09 2:07 pm - Tuvalu

This is the one I did.  One of the best decisions I ever made.  My surgery took less than two hours.  I got my life back.  

If you want any info, just ask.
prosperiti
on 12/12/09 4:12 am - Taylor , MI
Hi Ms. Cal Culator. I am planning to get a revision from a RNY to ??? haven't decided what to get. Can you explain why you get to eat and drink at the same time because you can't with the RNY it will stretch your pouch and stoma out. Next question is would you recommend this surgery? I want to finally reach my goal and be able to cross my legs...I was 418lbs lost 198, got down to 220 and could not lose any more wt. my goal wt was 170lbs(never reached it) then I started to put the wt back on I am now 295lbs, gaining back 75lbs. I am terrified of getting back to where I started can you give me some advice. I had my surgery 14 yrs ago 12/30/1995.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 12/12/09 4:21 am - Tuvalu
 Wow...I'm going to go get Kerry...your history sounds more like his.

The DS stomach, while small, is still a normal stomach.   As you can see in the drawings on this site, the RnY pouch is very tiny compared to the DS post-op stomach.  
www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

So more of the RnY weight loss comes from restriction because the pouch just can't hold much.  And more of the DS weight loss comes from malabsorption, because what we eat does not get absorbed the way it did pre-op.  (The RnY has malabsorption, too, but of different stuff.)

We can eat and drink at the same time and we don't dump.

But lemme go look for some RnY to DS revisions to give personal experience relative to your situation.
KRWaters
on 12/12/09 4:47 am - Manteca, CA
I am here with the same issues you have. I had RnY back in April 05, lost 90  pounds in about 8 months and then stalled for a year, going nowwhere. I had 40 more pounds to lose till goal. Never lost more though, started gaining and gained 70  pounds back. I did go for a revision for a DS, had it in May with Dr. Keshishian in Delano, California. I couldn't be happier. There are several docs in  Michigan who do the DS, i don't know who does revisions. Check out DSfacts.com. Since were were once neighbors ( I lived in Dearborn Hts for several years), I hope the you are faring well in the snow.  And Good Luck with your decision.  All I can say is I sure wish I knew about the DS before I had that dang RnY.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

ladydi1970
on 12/12/09 5:33 am - GA

Hi!

I had RNY 11-22-99.  I touched 100 lbs loss, for about 1/2 day.  Went from 309 to 209, then leveled out about 221.  I was a size 12/14 stayed that way for 2 years.  Started going through a divorce, got put on anti-depressants....gained 28 lbs in 30 days.  Joined WW, gained 16 lbs in 6 weeks....and just kept going higher and higher.

Was blessed by getting a revision to DS by Dr. John Husted in Somerset, KY.  I'm totally in love with this man!  He not only saved my life, but he's pretty easy on the eyes!  (My mom was calling him "good lookin" by the time he checked me out of the hospital!) And smart as hell.  I could listen to him talk all day.  Of course I wouldn't understand 1/2 of what he says, but still.......

You want to make sure if you decide to get a revision, no matter what surgery you decide on, that you get a Doc that's very experienced with revisions.

I'm 110% happy with my revision, and doc.:
Downfalls?

*Have to use more ho****er to fill up a bath tub, and most likley will run out before the tub is full (cause your azz isn't taking up as much room and you need more water)

*Have to buy new clothes...(this could be a good thing or bad depending on your $$$)

Funny you say about crossing your legs....I can now do that, my next thing will be able to hook my foot back under the leg that's on the floor.  Weird, but I have aunt's and cousins that sit like that all the time, I wanna do it!

Good luck with your search!

Diana   DS Revision from '99 RNY 
UHC Denied Jan'09/APPROVED Feb'09 
DS-SW287; CW/190 GW/152

prosperiti
on 12/12/09 12:10 pm - Taylor , MI
Hello...thank you for responding to my comment..I have another question?? was your surgery done laproscopically or open? and which would you recommend? I'm a little nervous with the laproscopic procedure but I know technology is getting better and better so...just wanting to know what you think...thanks
ladydi1970
on 12/13/09 12:53 am - GA
Mine was done all lap.  But with the knowledge if he needed to, that he may have had to open me up (due to scar tissue).  He said it was challenging, because he couldn't find the "staples" on the undeside of my stomach.  He said he finally got to them and was able to complete everything.

Just make sure you get and EXPERIENCED revision doc.

Diana   DS Revision from '99 RNY 
UHC Denied Jan'09/APPROVED Feb'09 
DS-SW287; CW/190 GW/152

ricki
on 12/12/09 6:17 am
On December 12, 2009 at 12:12 PM Pacific Time, prosperiti wrote:
Hi Ms. Cal Culator. I am planning to get a revision from a RNY to ??? haven't decided what to get. Can you explain why you get to eat and drink at the same time because you can't with the RNY it will stretch your pouch and stoma out. Next question is would you recommend this surgery? I want to finally reach my goal and be able to cross my legs...I was 418lbs lost 198, got down to 220 and could not lose any more wt. my goal wt was 170lbs(never reached it) then I started to put the wt back on I am now 295lbs, gaining back 75lbs. I am terrified of getting back to where I started can you give me some advice. I had my surgery 14 yrs ago 12/30/1995.
Actually, I am a revision from RNY (94) to DS (06).. my RNY failed at just about a year out.. I actually felt my staple line bust loose.. wow did that hurt! 

I lost all my weight with my RNY from 247 to 117 lbs.. but it only took me 2 years to regain it all and some.  I don't know why it took me so long to look into revision.. but once I did, I knew the DS was for me..

I can happily say I'm over 3 years out.. now weigh 130 lbs and have easily maintained for over 2 years..

Having had both the RNY and the DS I can tell you from experience it was the best thing I ever did.. getting rid of the pouch and it's complications.. I no longer dump. No more throwing up, nothing gets stuck anymore..... I can eat and drink, I eat like a horse.. I eat well.. I eat about 100 grams of protein daily and take my vits as needed, get my labs done every 6 months and everything is still in the normal range.. I am trying to get my D up but it's resistant......but that is the case with most everyone in North America.

I will tell you this and I mean it sincerely.  This revision is the most difficult and if you have problems, it's more likely to be severe problems.. I had none.. none whatsoever.. off all pain meds within 10 days.......lost like a virgin DS'r.. I would do it over again and again if I had to.. but finding the very best revision surgeon you can is the most important thing you can do to put the odds in your favor.

They are few and far inbetween.. less surgeons capable of revision from RNY to DS than even DS surgeons.. so do your homework.. come to the DS board and ask questions........and we will help you all we are able to.
ricki
on 12/12/09 6:18 am
Oh yeah.. I had Dr. Husted, too.. he was practicing in San Francisco with the Rabkins at the time.. and I lived in the St. Louis area.. so yeah.. chances are you'll have to travel to see whoever you select.
Kerry J.
on 12/12/09 6:58 am - Santa Clara, UT
Well, I had my stomach stapled into a pouch back in 1980, lost the excess weight and then after about a year, started to regain it. I fought it like a madman for 15 years and managed to keep it off with diet and exercise, but I got sick and couldn't exercise and I lost control and the weight all came back. 

I got a revision to DS in September of 2008 and although it was a tough surgery and a difficult recovery, it was well worth the pain, misery and expense, I would do it again if I needed to.

I just love my new life, I eat like a normal person, so dumping, no food sticking, no feeling deprived because I can't drink a glass of milk or eat a piece of birthday cake. It's like I'm in heaven.

You can check out my profile if you want to and see what I've been through and were I'm at now and you can read and see some of my first year progress here: www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4024505/One-year-ago-today-who -could-have-known/action,replies/topic_id,4024505/page,1/ 

It's hard to find a surgeon who can revise you from RNY to DS, but it's well worth the effort.

Feel free to PM me or ask any questions. I love, love, love my DS.

Kerry
Most Active