Delayed complication -- anyone else?

slgiff
on 12/9/09 7:04 pm
I had my revision Oct. 15, revised RNY.  Everything went great and since 2 weeks before surgery I have lost a total of 44 lbs with 30 being since surgery.  It is a litle slower this time, but that was to be expected. 

At about 5 weeks out this time however, I began to have excessive vomiting and even indigestion, which I've not had since 2001!!   I attributed this to a more progressively fast diet with this doctor than my first, so I slowed down and went back to soft food.  Well, it got to where I could not even keep water down most days.  I was getting dehydrated and weak as the days went on.  

I went on a women's retreat with about 35 other ladies and had just a few sips of broth from our soups, then for breakfast, 2 bites of eggs and a little grits...then for lunch had one cracker with a tiny bit of chicken salad (minus the chicken!)... and I probably threw up a total of 15-20 times during the 20 hour period we were away... 

It stayed about the same for a few more days until I finally called the doctor.  The Wed. before Thanksgiving he had me come in for an endoscopy to take a peak and to probably dialate my stoma some.  Well, not only had scar tissue grown and closed up a good portion, but a pill had gotten stuck!  When he pulled it out, he could read the mediation still on the pill... it had been two weeks since I took it!! 

So needless to say, Ive not taken anything that I can't chew or it be liquid!

One would think I would have lost a lot during all this, but it was only 8 lbs... which is still 8 lbs! But really??!! 

So I go back for a checkup yesterday and I am still having some issues with vomiting.  I can't drink after I eat for at least 2 hours.  The doctor says I need another dialation!  UGH!!  The being put to sleep is not the bad part.. its the swallow test after!  That stuff tastes sooooo bad! 

So, my question after my long disertation is this... has this ever happened to anyone else?  I dont want to be dialated too much, but the restriction is so much more than ever with my first surgery!  

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.  Oh, and yes, I am taking small bites, with a baby spoon actually, chewing until its mush and waiting 10 minutes between bites... not drinking w/ meals, etc... following the pouch rules... I am having to keep up with my protein shakes tho, my doctor wants me eating all my protein, but there is no way at this point...

Thanks!! 

Susan
This time... 252/208/125
vitalady
on 12/11/09 6:56 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Sorry, the ones I see locally, 3rd time is the charm.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Most Active