Band to Bypass Advice

christinegl
on 12/9/09 11:29 am - MN

Hello All,

I've had my band for three years now.  I've had trouble with it since about 9-10 months in.  I have really bad reflux and this caused my esophagus to dilate.  After much thought I am having bypass next Wednesday.  I was wondering if anyone would have advice for me that has had this revision done already?  Any comments are appreciated!  Thanks!!

Christine

LapBand Placed: 12/5/2006
Port Revision: 6/13/2007                                                                                                          Conversion to Gastric Bypass: 12/16/2009

Kerry J.
on 12/9/09 12:24 pm - Santa Clara, UT
I'm sure there are many Band to RNY revisions, I revised from RNY to DS and I know there are a number of Band to DS revisions on the DS Forum. You may want to check the DS Forum too.

Kerry
Mary S.
on 12/9/09 8:24 pm - Eden Prairie , MN
VSG on 05/15/17
Hi Christine, so good to see you post. This is Mary from MN and we met at PNC support group. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your band. I have seriously considered a revision also because I have not had good success with the band. I am down in Florida and I just went to a really good band support meeting last night, got off the carbs, exercising again, so I will see if I can get back on track. Please let me know how things work with the RNY. You can also email me at [email protected]. Take care. Hugs!!! Mary
christinegl
on 12/9/09 10:38 pm - MN

Hi Mary!

Are you living in Florida now?  I SO wish I was there now!!  It's about -4 here right now...brrrr!!!!  I remember you were having problems with losing like you wanted.  Is that the problem you're still having?  The time of that meeting is when my problems were starting.  This is my second time being totally unfilled since then.  It took awhile to convince my dr that something was wrong....but I was persistent.  I'm excited to lose weight again, but I'm getting nervous about the actual surgery.

Talk to ya later!

Port Revision: 6/13/2007                                                                                                          Conversion to Gastric Bypass: 12/16/2009

jillagin2000
on 12/9/09 10:15 pm
I had the band since 2003, managed to lose almost 100 lbs but it slipped and I spent about 2 years not able to eat much of anything.  I gained back up to 278 and got my revision to RNY in February '09.  My reflux went away and has stayed away, I can eat anything as long as I eat it in moderation (even bread) and have lost 110 lbs since surgery.  I'm THIS close to goal and am so glad I had my revision. 

I did research the DS, actually wanted the DS but I wasn't willing to fight that fight as I knew 1) it would take at least a year, 2) there are no actual DS surgeons in this area and I have HMO coverage, 3) I knew I'd get near the same results with RNY.    

310/285/164/145
Highest/Surgery #1/Current/GOAL

christinegl
on 12/9/09 10:40 pm - MN

Thanks for your response!  Was there any difference in the recovery from surgery?  Did you have any complications during/after surgery because of already being banded?

Amy F.
on 12/10/09 2:38 am
RNY on 11/17/09 with
 I just had a revision surgery from Lap Band to Gastric Bypass on November 17th.  I cannot tell you how incredibly happy I am that I got that foreign body out of my body.  The surgeon also fixed my hiatal hernia, which was largely due to my lap band issues.

I have already lost 33 lbs and I am so much happier with the Gastric Bypass surgery.  I haven't had any complications (knock on wood), and I am healing great.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending this surgery to anyone.  It is scary having a second surgery done - but it can work well.

Best of luck to you - I hope you make the right decision for yourself:)!

Thanks,
Amy

jass28
on 12/10/09 3:37 am - A Town, NJ
Look into the DS.  When I was looking to revise to the RNY I saw how many RNY patients were seeking a revision and quite frankly it scared me.  I also saw how they were most revising to the DS so i thought to myself "why put myself in a predicament where I may need a 3rd WLS" so I went with the DS and have not looked back.  I was miserable with the band and now I AM SO HAPPY.

339/318.6/125/155/165
SW/SW/LW/CW/GW      
Revision from Lapband to DS and Had healthy post-op baby, LOVE MY DS!

RNYEsq
on 12/10/09 3:58 am
That's so funny, I just posted on the RNY forum yesterday asking the exact same question.  

I have had my Realize band for a year and have "realized" that this was the wrong surgery choice for me...There has been no real weight loss and although I have not had any espophogus dialation problems or band slippage problems, I feel they are just around the corner.  Plus I am ALWAYS hungry.

My surgery is set for the 23rd.  I'm on the liquid diet (again) and remembering how much I disliked this part of pre-op from the band procedure.  When I had my band surgery I was in and out the same day, however.  With RNY, my Dr. said my hospital stay would be 2 nights minimum.  That means I'd be going home on Christmas day if everything is okay.  So, since I've never had to go in for this I am wondering what to bring with me to the hospital and what to expect there.  It seems like some people had drain tubes and some did not, etc.  So I'm looking for info as well.  
jillagin2000
on 12/10/09 9:00 pm
Recovery from my revision was mostly uneventful - I had adhesions under the bigger incision that caused some pain but that resolved in like 2 weeks.  I was back at work in a week though that was probably 1 week too soon.  I managed it OK.

310/285/164/145
Highest/Surgery #1/Current/GOAL

Most Active