Lapband revision to RNY

ARIEL07
on 12/8/09 4:52 am

Hi,

I had posted previously on the main board, but maybe I can get a little more feedback through here. I am having the lapband taken out probably early next year. I am scheduled to see the nutrionist on the 24th and then my surgeon to schedule surgery. I've had the lapband since 8/2007. Ive lost 45lbs and have not lost any more weight. I work out 4 days a week and eat according to the band rules. The doctor suggested RNY for more continued results being the my BMI is still pretty high.

For those of you have had this revision, what was different for you? How did the RNY help you?
How much have you lost since the revision? I started at 315 and now weigh 270. Im 5'7 and 27 years old.

I would appreciate your feedback or any pertinent information.

Thank you for reading.

smileyjamie72
on 12/8/09 7:56 am - Palmer, AK
Hi there!!!  Sorry, but I do not have any band advice.  There are people here who have had the band taken out... it may take a little time for them to respond, since this is a slower board... just be patient.

My name is Jamie & I had RNY surgery almost 8 years ago & I am seeking a revision to the DS.
Had I known about the DS when I was researching WLS 9 years ago... I would have researched that as well.  You are welcome to read my profile as well..... "My Story" is a good read.  I have killed my metabolism, heck, did that when I was 12!!!  I will be 38 next month!!

Please research & make sure your surgeon does ALL 4 weight loss surgeries!!  (as I have seen it put into words: "Would you go to a Honda dealer if you wanted a Ford?")
http://www.dsfacts.com/

Good Luck on YOUR journey!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

angibug
on 12/8/09 12:12 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Hi Ariel,

I am having my revision from Lap Band to RNY on Thursday! I will let you know how it goes =) Good luck with all of your approvals
ARIEL07
on 12/8/09 2:45 pm
Thank you, I would appreciate any updates. I wish you a speedy recovery.
Kerry J.
on 12/8/09 8:43 pm - Santa Clara, UT
I had RNY for 28 years before revision to DS; I originally lost most of my excess weight with the RNY, but after a year or so, I was starting to regain. I had to diet and exercise like mad to keep the weight off; but managed to do pretty well for about 15 years. I got sick and couldn't exercise and that was the end of my control, I started yo yo gaining and ended up right back where I started. I really hated the dumping and food sticking and I always felt deprived because I couldn't ever have anything sweet or even a glass of milk because I would dump. Anything stringy like steak, roast beef or celery would stick and I would end up puking it up, even rice would do this to me. I know that everyone who has RNY doesn't have these pouch problems, but I sure did and I really grew to despise what had been done to me.

I didn't know about the DS until someone invited me to check out the DS Forum, but when I started checking it out, the more I learned the more I liked. I decided I wanted the DS and that it was what would work for me long term. I love to eat, I really enjoy eating and the social atmosphere that goes with eating and the DS allows me to eat like a naturally thin person does and it's awesome. I have no bowel issues, you hear the myths about, in fact it's hard to find anything about the DS that I don't like. I do take a bunch of vitamins and get blood drawn and labs done every 6 months to make sure I'm not getting deficient in anything, but you should be doing that with RNY as well.

Feel free to check out my profile; you can see what I'm doing and what the differences is before and after and more about my RNY experiences. You can also read my 1 year out post here:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4024505/One-year-ago-today-who -could-have-known/action,replies/topic_id,4024505/page,1/

I'm loving life like never before, I feel great; like I'm 30 again. My only regret is that I didn't do the revision 10 years ago.

Kerry
strawberry28
on 12/8/09 9:58 pm - somewhere, MD
Hi Ariel,

I had a lapband placed in 2006.  I lost about 85 pounds, then got pregnant and never lost anymore weight after that...actually gained back 45 of that and never reached anywhere near goal.

I initially wanted to get the RNY, and I went to a very reputable surgeon for a consultation.  I went prepared and asked him many questions.  One question I asked him was "at what point will the RNY become an only restrictive procedure?'  He told me that basically the RNY is only a restrictive procedure with a slight bit of malabsorption initially.  Well, for me I knew I was not losing weight with just the restrictive part.  Being a revision (which makes the operation more risky) I wanted to really take a good hard honest look and myself and what I needed in terms of a operation to help me be successful in the long term.  I looked at the LONG TERN stats on keeping the weight loss off for all surgeries...after that (being a revision) it was a no brainer.  I have met with many post-op DSers and they are all so thin and happy with none of the myths you hear about gas and diarrhea issues.

With the band I still was not eating huge quanities of food, but just would not lose weight.  I like to eat like a normal person (not overeat, just normal).

After much research and going to 3 different surgeons who perform ALL of the operations I decided on the DS.

I had my revision surgery 5 days ago, and already I am very pleased...I have a fully functioning stomach (now sleeve) with a pyloric valve (not a pouch-like with RNY).  I have no problems getting in my liquids, and even started taking pills yesterday.

So I understand the wanting to get rid of the band thing.

Good luck with you journey. 
SW= 268     
CW= 145  ***GOAL REACHED on Christmas Day 2010****             
GW=145
5'6"       BMI= 23
 LapBand 3/2006 to Revision DS 12/2009
Get the FACTS about the Duodenal Switch at www.DSFACTS.com or http://www.duodenalswitch.com/

Extended Tummy Tuck, BL/BA scheduled for 11/18/11 Dr. Larry Lickstein          

mariepro
on 12/9/09 7:10 am - Vernon, CT
Hi I just had revision from Lap Band to RNY 10/20/2009. I had lost 70 pds. with the lapband the first year had it replaced in 2007 and started to gain but maintain. I started having issues with the second band and asked the doc about RNY he said I would be a perct canidate. It was a long surgery and very tough because I had lots of scar tissue, but after a few days felled good it has taken me a good six weeks to get back on track. I am going to the gym three times a week sometimes four, I have lost 30 pds and dropped a size, probaly two by the end of the month. I have problems with drinking my protein but dc said don't worry too much as long as I follow the 5 rules he gave me. I am very happy with this revision and would do it again, I am not hungry I have to tell myself to eat and with the band I was always hungry. I know I'm headed on the right path, I am very happy with my decision.

john_albert
on 12/9/09 5:26 pm
 Hi,

I AM SO HAPPY NOW". My life seemed to be on hold because of my overweight. I did all kinds of sports and the weight still kept coming. I consult with doctors and talked about diet that best for me and I tried dieting and went to the nutritionist and it still didn't help. I was gaining weight very fast every month. I became more and more depressed with every unsuccessful diet. My friends and my parents told me about Lap Band and really believe me the result that I have seen after this was amazing.

Thanks 

Hi I had the lap band back in 2001. lost very good 142 pounds and 7 months got pregnant with twins and the weight stop coming off I GAINED HALF MY WEIGHT BACK. 8/20/09 I had a revision to RNY I have lost 71 pounds and 3 in a half months. I think that's kinda slow but my doctor said I was doing great. I think now with the rny I can basically eat anything I want just gotta watch my intake. I think the rny is okay. I wish I had got the ds

jass28
on 12/10/09 3:43 am - A Town, NJ
Look into the DS.  When I was looking to revise to the RNY I saw how many RNY patients were seeking a revision and quite frankly it scared me.  I also saw how they were most revising to the DS so i thought to myself "why put myself in a predicament where I may need a 3rd WLS" so I went with the DS and have not looked back.  I was miserable with the band and now I AM SO HAPPY.

339/318.6/125/155/165
SW/SW/LW/CW/GW      
Revision from Lapband to DS and Had healthy post-op baby, LOVE MY DS!

Most Active