looking for Dr Schlesingers DS patients.

dmk22498
on 12/8/09 4:04 am - tempe, AZ
I would like to hear from actual DS Patients of Dr Schlesinger.
Thank you
smileyjamie72
on 12/8/09 8:00 am, edited 12/8/09 8:54 am - Palmer, AK
You should also post this "Shout-Out" on the DS board

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/a,messageboard/board_id ,5357/

You will probably get more responses... this tends to be a slower moving board.

GOOD LUCK!!!
-Jamie

ETA: OK, looks like you were already there, sorry!!!
I was following the links provided & something someone posted about "the DS and the ERNY being along the same lines" NO NO NO  That stuck like a thorn in my side.  That is wrong information!  check out this link... for diagrams for ERNY and the DS.>>>> They are indeed 2 DIFFERENT surgeries.
http://www.dssurgery.com/newsletters/dec-5-09.pdf

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

dmk22498
on 12/8/09 10:05 am - tempe, AZ
 thank you.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 12/9/09 1:03 am - Tuvalu

Here are links to the DS surgeons in North America...there are none in Arizona.

www.dsfacts.com/North-American-Duodenal-Switch-Surgeons.html
JROLFSON
on 12/9/09 1:16 am - St. George, UT
I don't believe that the DS is one of Dr. Schlessinger's revision procedures, but I have seen a member post here who did have a DS by Dr. S....hopefully they will come forward and give you some information...Are you going for a virgin DS or a revision of something else to a DS?

JRolfson
dmk22498
on 12/9/09 5:00 am - tempe, AZ
virgin ds
Ms. Cal Culator
on 12/9/09 12:57 pm - Tuvalu
On December 9, 2009 at 1:00 PM Pacific Time, dmk22498 wrote:
virgin ds
Reconsider.

Please.

If you want the DS, you want an experienced surgeon.  The Rabkins are up north in CA.  But your best bet from Tempe is Keshishian or Crookes.  I used to drive 3.5-4 hours from L.A. up to Delano  to see Keshishian, but now he's also in Glendale, CA.  That would give you a drive that's a couple hours longer than mine was but you know, after the first year, it's just a once-a-year visit.  

Crookes is a nice man and I'm sure he's a fine DS surgeon, but the entire voice-mail-hell-impossible-to-reach-anyone-by-phone stuff involved with that complex sends me over the edge, and some unkind reviews of the nursing staff at USC Hospital by other DS patients kept me looking around instead of committing there.

I have no experience with the Glendale office that Keshishian has, but his Delano situation is ideal.

Good luck, but please...this is the time to insist on the best.  And that is not located in Tempe.

Sue
(family in Florence, Casa Grande, Gilbert, Mesa and all over the area!)

JROLFSON
on 12/9/09 11:47 pm - St. George, UT
Hello DMK...

You are aware that you are on the Revision Surgery Site...not a virgin weight loss surgery site?

We love having you here but honestly your questions regarding a VIRGIN DS should be posted on the DS site...Their you will find every competant DS Surgeon in Arizona or any surrounding states...Virgin DS's are much easier to do than a Revision to a DS from another procedure...But that being said you would still want to have your surgery done from a surgeon who has at least 400 DS Surgeries under his or her belt...I wouldn't settle for less...also reading up on the testimonials and reading the posts from the DS Board gives you a lot of information on how well the surgeons out there are doing...The advice to seek out an opinion from Dr. Rabkin, Dr. Husted, Dr. Keshishian is excellent advice. DS is slowly but surely becoming the cadillac surgery of the day and many Surgeons are making the switch to this procedure but honestly it's much better to see a Surgeon who has been doing this for a while and can give you the best possible care...

Good Luck to you...

Janie
dmk22498
on 12/10/09 12:54 am - tempe, AZ
thank you for your kind reply. I do understand where the post was made. I also posted on the other forums as well.
StacysMom
on 12/9/09 4:18 am, edited 12/9/09 4:19 am
 This doctor has not done a revision from RNY to DS.   In fact, there was a controversy on this very board over a year ago because two of his revision patients came onto the boards saying he had given them the DS, when they really had the ERNY (Extended RNY), but didn't know it.    They had been "bait & switched".

Here is the link to the original thread, where SheriAZ and My_Time (who flew out from across the country supposedly to get a revision to the DS) finally realize that they got the ERNY, not the DS:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/3815154/Anyone-had-a-revision-from-RNY-to-DS/

This doctor doesn't have the skill nor the experience to do a revision from RNY to DS because reconstructing the pouch back into a sleeve stomach is very complicated surgically and prone to leaks and complications.   He won't even attempt it.   He convinces patients that it is "dangerous" to do -- and it is, in HIS hands.    But, experienced DS surgeons do it all the time.    Rabkin and Husted are just two who do the RNY to DS surgery routinely.   And, the DS people can direct you to more surgeons who do it.     

Dr. Schlesinger is NOT an experienced DS surgeon.   If he were, his name would be all over the DS board, websites and lists.   The doctors they actually use are all represented in these places.    It is your choice if you want to use this doctor and essentially be a Guinea Pig for him to get more DS surgeries under his belt.   Maybe he is the only choice you have available.   But, please be aware that this is the reality of the situation and go in with your eyes open.

Most Active