Just a question

gigi2897
on 12/6/09 2:58 am - Deer Park, TX
So I am new to this whole Gastric Bypass thing. I had surgery on Wednesday December 2nd and I am home from the hospital.  In the hospital it was easy to make myself eat because they were bringing me food on a regular basis(I guess instead of food I should say liquids).  Anyway now I am home and the thought of taking in anything makes me gag.  I feel terrible when i think of eating.  Doesn't matter what.  I have no desire to eat.  Is this pretty normal with the gastric bypass and what are some things i can have on the full liquid diet that I might not have thought about.  Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

DukBlu
on 12/6/09 3:09 am
Hi Gigi,

i just had my surgery Thursday and I feel the same. I make sure I get the multi vitamin in and Gasx- after that who knows. Takes me an hour to drink 6 oz protein shake. From what i have read on here, that is normal. I am drinking the Gladiator from Smoothie King (one on Fairmont), i really like them. Warm broth is helpful for me as well as a heating pad. Today is better than yesterday and I hope tomorrow will be better. I try to walk but that is difficult but the more I walk the faster I get rid of the gas. Drink Propel and try to stay hydrated. I think it will get better.

Good luck from a fellow Deer.
Duk
(deactivated member)
on 12/6/09 6:10 am - AZ
On December 6, 2009 at 10:58 AM Pacific Time, gigi2897 wrote:
So I am new to this whole Gastric Bypass thing. I had surgery on Wednesday December 2nd and I am home from the hospital.  In the hospital it was easy to make myself eat because they were bringing me food on a regular basis(I guess instead of food I should say liquids).  Anyway now I am home and the thought of taking in anything makes me gag.  I feel terrible when i think of eating.  Doesn't matter what.  I have no desire to eat.  Is this pretty normal with the gastric bypass and what are some things i can have on the full liquid diet that I might not have thought about.  Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

You just had your stomach sliced and diced, it's totally normal.  Just do your absolute best to stay hydrated.

missnanajean
on 12/6/09 10:45 am - Friendswood, TX
Didn't Davis give you a list of what you could have? The first week is the worst just sip,sip,sip and take your pain medicine and GasX every 4 hours. I got by better with Propel water and Crystal Light Hydration. Both have vitamins in them. Each day gets alittle bit better. Hang in there but stay hydrated.
  Miss  Jean   
heatherlowrymom
on 12/8/09 4:16 am
so I am starving on the preop diet...so maybe it's good that I won't want to eat--cause right now it's all I can think about! I did have that feeling after the band as well, but it went away...is drinking hard? have you tried special K protein water?
gigi2897
on 12/16/09 4:42 am - Deer Park, TX
Hey!!  I hope you are feeling well.  The first few days are the worst.  Drinking hasn't been too hard.  It is definately easier to drink then to eat but i am now 2 weeks out and able to do the pureed foods.  Dr. Davis said at the end of 1 weeks on purees if I think I can handle it I can move on to soft foods.  I am feeling pretty good and taking my vitamins often.  Keep me posted on how you are doing!

Deb S.
on 12/8/09 8:55 am - Winton, CA
stay hydrated is the best advice. But... when you are so bummed from not feeling like you want to eat you can try SF popcicles, and even SF jello. It will give you a boost of flavor but just be aware that your tummy is so tiny that you may only be able to eat a tiny bit. The SF popcicles are still my fav staple post op bc it gives you such a great amount of flavor , so much better than chicken broth or water, yet they are SF! So you are staying within the rules. Not sure if you thought of these, but hope this suggestion helps ya. 

Most Active