Your advice appreciated!

Kerry J.
on 12/8/09 10:49 pm - Santa Clara, UT
Yea, I know what you're saying, we're all so different, I wouldn't want to say that a revision to DS would resolve all your problems. All I really know is that is sure fixed all mine.

I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday and he was asking me if I had any bad effects from the surgery and how I was feeling. It's hard to describe how wonderful it is to just feel OK, to be normal, to not have to worry about what anything I eat is going to do to me. Is it going to stick, is it going to make me dump, will I get a hypoglycemic reaction from it? The only time I have any pause to think about what I'm eating is if I want to eat something sweet or carby and then it's just a question of if I've eaten enough protein today and do I want to splurge on this? There are no dumping, food sticking or hypoglycemia clubs hanging over my head waiting to whack me if I make a mistake or eat something I'm not supposed to.

I would love to hear what you find out as you look into this. Good luck; I sure hope you find the answers you're looking for.

Kerry
M M
on 12/8/09 10:50 pm

I'm writing a post about it now... working it out in my head... you know?

It just sucks, because the questions that will follow.

hillofbeans
on 12/19/09 2:05 am

I found this link from a post on the MB.

FWIW - I had major reactive hypo after my RNY in 2002. It started about 2 years after my original surgery, and at times was debilitating and extremely embarrassing, because it never happens when it's a good time, right? I had RNY to DS revision in May, and I've not had one episode since.

Talk about being free. It's a life changing experience. Not only to be able to not overly concern myself with fat being in foods, but also not having to worry that I'm ever going to have a reactive hypo episode again. I worried a lot at first that they would return, but alas, 7 months later, and they haven't. Not even once.

I sincerely hope this helps in your journey.

smileyjamie72
on 12/7/09 5:13 am - Palmer, AK

Hi there!!  I am in the process of pursuing a revision from my 2002 RNY to a DS.  I have decided this is my best option, for me, personally.  I have researched, and researched, and still continue to do so.

Unfortunately, in 2001, when I was originally pursuing weight loss surgery, the DS was never mentioned, and I did not have a home computer.  Had I known about the DS, and how it works long-term with metabolic issues, I would have changed surgeons & pursued the DS THE FIRST TIME AROUND!!!

In my profile, is "My Story" if you would like to look.  Remember..... go to a surgeon who does ALL weight loss surgeries.... RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!!!!  I live in Alaska & I have no problems traveling.... It is for the benefit of my health!!!

Good luck on your journey!! 
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

(deactivated member)
on 12/7/09 8:46 am
Hi!

I am a revision from an old stapling procedure done in the '80's.  When I first looked into having a revision, the only information I could find at first was the RNY, which my insurance would have paid for 100%.  I had decided that I could not live with an RNY and had almost decided that I would have no surgery at all when I found out about the DS.

I have lost all my excess weight, my Type ll diabetes, my high blood pressure, my sleep apnea and my high cholesteral.  I eat like a normal person, although white flour gives me gas, so I don't eat that and I don't miss it at all.

Dr. K. has given you the excellent advice you need and I second his opinion that this is not your fault.  I would recommend that you look into the DS.  It truely has given me back my life and it could do the same for you.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Michele

http://www.dsfacts.com/
NH MOM
on 12/8/09 12:32 pm
Thank you again everyone for the information you have shared/provided. I have a meeting scheduled with my original surgeon in February 2010, starting with an Upper GI to assess the anatomy of my insides.

Found out today I am still have iron deficiency anemia, so starting back on 325mg. Ferrous Sulfate, 3X a day. Hoping that'll help give me an energy boost.

I really like and respect my surgeon and know for sure back when I originally had my Open RNY in 2002 he did not offer the DS. According to their website, they still do not offer DS -- but my insurance does cover it (and I don't think it did before). So I guess I'll start with hearing what he has to say as far as my upper GI goes, working to get rid of the anemia and then figure out where to go from there.

While I'd LOVE to be anything in the general vicinity of a size 10 -- honestly, I'd be happy with a 14 as I think that's where my body is most comfortable. My BMI was about 47 I think pre-surgery; now it's hovering around 43. UGH.
Kerry J.
on 12/8/09 8:52 pm - Santa Clara, UT
One thing you need to be aware of about the DS is that there are not a lot of surgeons who can do a revision to DS. I had to travel 650 miles from Southern Utah to San Francisco to get a surgeon I was comfortable with to do my revision from a 1980 gastric bypass / RNY. 

It was a tough surgery and difficult recovery, but well worth the effort, cost and short term misery; I'm loving life like never before, I love, love, love my DS. Feel free to check out my profile if you want to see and read more about it.

Kerry
Most Active