Blood Thinners

gigi2897
on 12/5/09 4:05 am - Deer Park, TX
Hey everyone! I am 3 days out form my revision from lapband to rny and I have been experiencing nose bleedsfor the last day and a half. I was just wondering if this could be a side effect from all the blood thinners the doctor had me on.  Has anyone else experienced this with their surgeries before?  Thanks for the help!
Ginger

Ara Keshishian
on 12/5/09 11:27 am - Glendale, CA
 The blood thinner that are used peri-operative are all short acting. Their effect is gone within 12-24 hours of the last dose (depending on what you were being given). The exception to this would be if you were on coumadin, plavix or  Aspirin.

More likely than not, you had a nasogastric tube place in the operating room, and with dry air of an oxygen nasal cannula you have injured nasal mucosa. This is all good news.
My only warning would be to be mind full that you can loose a lot of blood from a nose bleed. Seek medical care it if is ongoing.

Ara
 Ara Keshishian, MD, FACS, FASMBS
[email protected]
www.dssurgery.com

davebev
on 12/6/09 1:09 pm - yukon, OK
gigi - i will have the same surgery on dec 17.how do you feel?how long did you have the band?i have
had problems with my band and i am looking forward to the revision.btw i am to be on blood thinner
for 10 days.i hope you are doing well.david
Most Active