Scared, Scared, Scared!

leslietx
on 11/29/09 3:19 pm - nonya, AL
I am having surgery on this Thursday 12/03/09, a revision from VBG to RNY. My VBG was on 12/3/06 and it almost killed me! I had respiratory failure during the surgery and ended up on life support in a coma for 3 months. It was not pretty and I swore I would never have elective surgery again. Well, here I am, 6 years to the DAY and I will be going under the knife again. I am so scared! I have gained back 1/2 what was lost originally, but it is the vomiting that drove me to the Dr. this time. The tests show a severe restriction and it needs to be corrected. Please pray for me!
zydecoking
on 11/29/09 8:22 pm
I will be praying for you.
Kerry J.
on 11/29/09 8:40 pm - Santa Clara, UT
Why in the world are you getting a revision from one purely restrictive WLS to another purely restrictive WLS? IF VBG didn't work for you what makes you think RNY will?

I'm glad to pray for you, but this sounds like a very bad idea to me.

Kerry
SmyleyFace
on 11/30/09 4:57 am - Phoenix, AZ
From what my doctor has told me and what I have read, RNY is not purely restrictive as you stated, but also has malabsorption. (The malabsorption depending on how much jejunum is bypassed. Many people with purely restrictive surgeries only lose part of their tottal weight.

NEVER TOO LATE TO BEE HAPPY!!!!            

leslietx
on 11/30/09 5:03 am - nonya, AL
The type of revision that I am having was a decision made between me and my surgeon, after reveiwing several options. The type of surgery that I am having is not in debate. The issue that drove me to the message board last night was the fear of ANY surgery. I am seeking support from fellow WLS patients, not medical advice.
Kerry J.
on 11/30/09 5:21 am - Santa Clara, UT
What you're saying is true, but the amount of caloric malabsorbtion in a Proximal RNY is very small, while the malabsortion of B12 and other vitamins is complete malabsorbtion. ERNY or Distal RNY can give you a little more or a lot more malabsorbtion. Please read Lizzies posts below to see what can happen with this procedure should your surgeon get the amount of bypass wrong.

I urge you to find out exactly what you're getting yourself into here; do not just take your doctors word for what is best for you. You're hiring him and he is taking your money, make sure you're getting what you want and need, not just what ever it is he is selling.

You're also right on the money about people with purely restrictive surgeries only losing part of their excess weight as is evidenced by the post above from Jillian.

If you know what you're doing, Godspeed and I wish you well; if you're not 100% sure what it is you're getting into here, I urge you to stop and research until you know exactly what you're getting into. The track record and results from ERNY and Distal RNY are not all that good; especially when compared to the DS.

It's your life and how you want to live the rest of it is certainly your business, not mine, I'm just saying make sure you know what you getting into here, this malabsorbtion and revision business is very tricky business indeed.

Kerry
SmyleyFace
on 11/30/09 5:08 am - Phoenix, AZ

I can imagine that having a bad experience in the past must be very frightening when considering surgery again. One positive thing is that this time the surgeon and anesthesiologist will be aware of the possible complications and can prevent or allow for them this time. If you have confidence in your surgeon you can proceed to do what is necessary for your health and well being. If you are asking for prayer, you must believe that God knows and cares about what is best for you. Trust in that and go forward with grace and confidence.

NEVER TOO LATE TO BEE HAPPY!!!!            

reenieb
on 12/21/09 3:41 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
I think you'll be fine; but it doesn't matter what I think if you think otherwise. You have my strong positive thoughts of support and I will look forward to your update. Be well, Maureen
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
Most Active