Please help my brainstorm from lapband to VSG!!!

sreed1966
on 11/30/09 3:23 am - Livonia, MI
OK. Bare with me as I explain my situation...I'm hoping someone out there has done this....
I have a lapband that worked great for 5 years....I've been unfilled for a year and have gained 70 pounds....my BMI is about 39.
I am scheduled for RNY Dec. 29th because my insurance will cover it......Not the sleeve which is what I want...I will still owe $3000 after all is said and done...Here is my question...

Insurance will cover the removal of the band.......
My doctor does the sleeve for a flat rate of $11,200 for self payers......
If he charges the removal of my band to the insurance along with the anesthesia and OR room, and 1 day hospital stay, etc.....Couldn't he give me the sleeve for a cheaper price since all of the OR things will already be paid for by insurance? My friend just got her gallbladder removed, and a boob job.....and it cost her less because some of it was covered...I have more than $3000 to spend, but less than $11000.....I think if we could come to some agreement this might work, am I crazy? I don't want my intestines re-routed!!!

I'm going to talk to the office tomorrow, and see what they say....Has anyone done this before?
sassyscorpio
on 12/2/09 3:53 pm
No, but you have the right idea! the sleeve rocks! I am thrilled to have that band out of me and
I love the sleeve. I went to Dr. Aceves in Mexicali though. I didn' t  have ins. and I was thrilled
with him and the hospital there.
deannag70
on 12/8/09 12:24 pm - Grapevine, TX
Revision on 10/21/13
I've had my band since March 04.  Lost about 85 lbs (about 60% to goal) but have gained 1/2 of that back.

I've actually had approval for the sleeve and am trying to decide if I really want bypass :-)  My insurance changes on 1/1, so if I want the sleeve, I have to do it before then and I am out of flex reiumbursement money for this year and would basically have to pay $2k out of pocket.  PLUS If I have WLS after 1/1, I'm going to have to change surgeons as mine isn't a preferred provider on my new plan and it doesn't cover out of network (he is on the list, which is why I went with that plan, but he is on the list ONLY for general surgery, not bariatric...)

Anyway - I'm researching like mad trying to make my decisions.  The question I keep asking myself is if I couldn't do it with the band, which is restrictive, why do I think I could lose it well with the sleeve, also restrictive.  I keep wondering if bypass with some malabsorption would be a better option. 

Maybe we can lean on each other through this as my revision, if I go with the sleeve, will be at the same time :-)  What made you decide you liked the sleeve better?
Most Active