so confused. to reverse or revise or stay?

Lorie2
on 12/1/09 4:20 am
I forgot to tell you about chia seeds too. I put them in a salad or just eat them. They seem to soak up lots of liquid in the intestines and that helps to form your poo too. That worked good too. You can get them online or in a health store. Once your poo slows down you can back off the chia seeds and use as necessary.
Lori
JROLFSON
on 12/1/09 4:33 am - St. George, UT
Becky:

If your in Lake Elsinore, CA you are only about 3 hours away from Dr. K...He is in Delano, CA just outside of Bakersfield...I believe he also sees patients in Glendale, CA once a week...Correct me if I'm wrong Dr. K if you happen to be reading this...

Honestly I am beginning to firmly believe that it is necessary to have a normal stomach even if it is a transected stomach to help with absorption of vitamins... I too have had an ERNY and haven't begun yet to experience malabsorption at least I don't think I have, but I do experience many other issues like many other ERNY'ers and I honestly believe DS is the way to go and I believe if you are severely malnourished insurance would be obligated to revise you procedure...

I would email Dr. K...he is a wealth of info...

JRolfson
Lorie2
on 12/1/09 6:38 am
Hi JRolfson,'

I think the Ds is a great option and I could possiby get that this time a round but am scared of the 20 percent leakage that comes with the revision.  I'M going to try and lengthen the common channel hoping this helps. How are you doing. Having any issues? would love to hear from you

Lori
JROLFSON
on 12/2/09 12:43 am, edited 12/2/09 12:43 am - St. George, UT
Hi Lori:

I hear you about the danger of leaks...That is one of the minor reasons I opted for ERNY but the manjor reason was insurance wouldn't pay...I have been having a few issues one being pain in the URQ of the stomach...I've had several tests but they still aren't sure what it is other than possibly Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction...

So you're going to lengthen your cc? Are you having issues still? What are they? How is your weight loss? I'm really interested to know how things are going for you as I've now been told that I do have some deficiencies on vitamins...A,D,K (just got the word on that yesterday late afternoon, before I posted above that I had no malabsorption issues)....so I don't know what's in store for me...I haven't gotten to the tired and listless feeling like so many others who have had ERNY...I feel really good other than when I get these attacks of pain...

I would love to keep in contact with you as well...

Janie
RainyDayWoman
on 12/2/09 5:51 am - Fridley, MN
I am so sorry you're going through all this.  Definitely look into taking an antibiotic like Flagyl and getting on some strong probiotics.  I agree with the others that it sounds like you have heinous bacterial overgrowth. 

Definitely contact Vitalady.  I wish you the best in getting better and I hope you don't need a revision or anything.  There are a lot of things you can try before revising.
Lilypie - (SzbI)
Rebecca G.
on 12/2/09 11:07 am - New Bern, NC
 do you know the dosage of flagyl? i am guessing the side effects are worth it, even though one of the side effects was bad diarrhea..
Lorie2
on 12/2/09 10:43 pm
I took flagyl for a week and never did the second week. I had no change in my diarreah. I just went to the probiotics  3-4 times a day. That worked. It takes like 2 weeks to get in your system and work like it should. Be sure to give it sometime.
Lori
RainyDayWoman
on 12/6/09 10:03 am - Fridley, MN
I am sorry, I don't know the dosage but you could ask on the DS board, a lot of people have taken it there.
Lilypie - (SzbI)
Rebecca G.
on 1/21/10 2:47 am - New Bern, NC
Quick update. Lost my isurance and I don't qualify for Medi-Cal so no way to get prescriptions. I saw the Primal Defense Ultra and I Need to know if anyone has tried any other brands with any success? Anything I might be able to get from Rite Aid or Wal Mart? I am hurting now, I can't afford my vitamins anymore and am attempting to look for someplace that might have discout vitamins. Anyone? Please help!
 Rebecca
JRinAZ
on 1/21/10 3:38 am - Layton, UT
On January 21, 2010 at 10:47 AM Pacific Time, Becky M. wrote:
Quick update. Lost my isurance and I don't qualify for Medi-Cal so no way to get prescriptions. I saw the Primal Defense Ultra and I Need to know if anyone has tried any other brands with any success? Anything I might be able to get from Rite Aid or Wal Mart? I am hurting now, I can't afford my vitamins anymore and am attempting to look for someplace that might have discout vitamins. Anyone? Please help!
Bariatric Advantage was offering help for people who had lost their jobs, etc.  Shoot them an email and tell them your story.  It's worth a shot.

Also, Michelle Curan (aka www.vitalady.com) may have some old stocks or something available?  Again, it's worth a shot.

Try contacting each company individually as well....i.e. High Health, GNC AND the vitamin companies.

Call your surgeon's program and ask them if they have any samples they would help you out with. 

AND.....contact your own support group.  Maybe they could throw a "vitamin" shower.  Perhaps people could even dig through their own stashes to share things that they aren't going to use or haven't liked the taste of, etc.

Email O.H. staff members.  They often hand out oodles of vitamin samples at their events and may have a box or two leftover that they could send to you.

I've been in your position before.  O.H. AND friends came to my rescue. 

Good luck!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active