From a Sleeve to Gastric Bypass

princessjillie26
on 11/29/09 9:55 pm - NY
Hello all  ,

Well i need a bit of help  Back in July 09 2007 i had the Sleeveing  done and it was great i lost soo much  and then i stopped losing and stared gaining  uugg   and i  still need to loss more  so i went for the Revision to  the Gastric Bypass  and that was on July 29 2009...  so its only been 4 months out .. and i only lost 35 lbs ...   and this passed month i did not more at all  .. i meed i did drop a few LBS  here and there  but then they come right back on .. I go back to my doc on Dec 22 and i have a feeling he is going to yell at me  ..

Has this happen to anyone out there   and if not can anyone help me get  back on track =)

Thank you

Jillian
Kerry J.
on 11/30/09 4:04 am - Santa Clara, UT
Jillian,

Am I understanding you correctly that you had a VSG; lost some weight, then stalled, and then got a revision from VSG to RNY?

I'm thinking there must me some confusion or a mistake on what  your doctor is telling. From what I know of these procedures, that would make no sense what so ever. There is no advantage RNY has over VSG and there are a number of negatives with RNY you would not have with VSG. If anything, I would think you would have been revised to the DS since VSG is the first or restrictive part of that surgery.

Please make sure of what you've had done and get back to us here, this just doesn't add up.

Kerry 
dogma2karma
on 11/30/09 7:13 am - Suburbia, CA
If her revision was done by the surgeon listed on her profile, I highly doubt he gave her a revision to a DS.
259.5/227.5/122/118
8.5 months post DSNormal BMI, woohoo!
princessjillie26
on 11/30/09 9:49 pm - NY

Hello all ..  I was once 415lbs i went to my doc can he  did the VSG back in 07 i lost about 140 -150 lbs  in two year at that point i was about 260-280lbs

So my doc  did the RNY.. NOT the DS

he said with the DS  it would not be good for me .. because i only had 100 lbs or so to loss for my goal that he would like to see me at ...

i hope that clears it up somewhat ...

Kerry J.
on 12/1/09 3:55 am - Santa Clara, UT
OK, so you now have a RNY. I don't understand the reasoning for revising from VSG to RNY, but that's your decision so I assume you must have a very good reason for doing it.

Is your RNY Distal or Proximal? Also; in case  you didn't know, with RNY you cannot absorb B12 and depending on what kind of RNY you have, you may have more vitamin deficiency problems than you would have had with a DS. But no matter which kind you have, you do have to get blood drawn and labs done at least yearly and then supplement accordingly. With your old VSG this would not have been such a big deal, but with any RNY or DS, this becomes mandatory.

As far as the DS being only for people who have more than 100 pounds to lose; well that's just DS Bull **** It's a lie; usually told by surgeons who lack the skills and training to do the DS. Take a look at my profile and pictures; I'm very very close to my idea weight and I've lost 92 pounds. My goal is to lose 6 more, but my body fat % is only 23.5 so to get to an idea body fat % I only need to lose 3 pounds of fat.

As for DS people living in the bathroom; more DS Bull **** I'm a pilot, I fly my own planes and helicopters all the time and having any kind of uncontrollable or even unexpected bowel issues or problems would be totally unacceptable. When you're flying, you cannot just pull over and go when ever the urge hits. Most of my flights are 1-3 hours with an occasional 4 - 41/2 hour flight and there is no rest room in any of my planes or my helicopter. I'm so regular it's boring, I go once or twice in the morning and that's it. You could almost set your watch by when I go it's so predictable and regular.

The really sad thing is that it appears to me that your "surgeon" sold you a bill of goods and took your money and did you a lot more harm than anything else. IMO the sonofa***** should be sued for malpractice, then disbarred and put in prison for what he did to you. You've been screwed over and you think he did you a service. Very sad indeed.

Kerry
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 12/1/09 5:46 am
I'm sorry. Your surgeon should be spanked. And sued.
princessjillie26
on 11/30/09 9:51 pm - NY
Nope he did not  dogma2karma... i think  he  told me he really dose not like  doing the DS  ..

Sarah B.
on 11/30/09 10:27 pm - Plymouth Meeting, PA
I'm sure he doesn't LIKE to do the DS because he's not CAPABLE of doing the DS. He'd have lost a paying customer to send you to a legitimate DS-performing surgeon. I don't believe he had your best interest in mind. I do think he did the best that he felt he had to offer, but that wasn't necessarily what was best for YOU. Did you research the DS yourself before agreeing to the RNY revision or did you take his word for it that it wouldn't be a good option for you? Were there reasons that you decided against DS, aside from his recommendation?
Century Club: 3.14.10 ~ ONEderland 4.28.10 ~ Normal BMI & 150 Pounds Lost: 7.25.10

(HW 317 / SW 301 / GW 169 / CW 144 & LOVING my DS! / 5' 9")
princessjillie26
on 11/30/09 11:21 pm - NY
yes i researched the DS and found there is a higher rate of  Vitamin Deficiencies.. and that you live in the the Bathroom LOL  and the weight loss is much higher and i  do not need to loss that much i have 95 lbs  to go .. I talk to my doc about it and he can do  the DS but for me it was  not the right one ..

If i did it when i was 415lbs  then that would of beed a diff story but  the way we did it was a safer way for me  to loss the weight..

and nothing came out of my pockit Money wise beside  my co- pay .. i both surgerys were coved under my Inc ....

Anna G.
on 11/30/09 11:37 pm
Girl, you did some **** poor research. Both RNY and DS require serious vitamin supplementation, and the idea that DS'ers "live in the bathroom" is laughable and insulting.  And the malabsorptive part of the DS, which is the only part of it that you didn't already have, is not the part that results in massive weight loss; it's the part that keeps the weight off in the long term. But that's water under the bridge. Good luck with your RNY. I don't have any advice to offer but I hope it works out for you.

Most Active