Anyone had sclerotherapy for dilated gastrojejunostomy ?

jadeleigh
on 11/24/09 12:14 pm - bellingham, MA
I am a patient of Dr. Lautz's in Boston, I have been going through the process of getting a revision done for about a year now, and it was determined that I should have this type of procedure done to correct my original surgery, sclerotherapy  is something I had never read or heard about, I guess they do a series of injections that reconfigure the opening thus making it smaller like it was ?  Simple enough, but I am wondering if anyone out there has had it done ? how are you doing since the procedure ? and what are the results like ? are you happy with your results or rate of weight loss ? Anything you have to offer will be appreciated ! Thanks, Jade
(deactivated member)
on 11/24/09 12:48 pm
I had sclerotherapy twice... The first time it was extremely painful and wasn't very effective. The second time I had it done it wasn't as painful but also wasn't very effective. It did temporarily give me back a little restriction but it didn't last. I lost maybe five lbs. total from it.

Had a revision done in June 09.

Good luck either way. I hope you have better success than I did.

Tara
Ara Keshishian
on 11/24/09 10:27 pm - Glendale, CA
 Sclerotherapy is a temporizing measure that causes scaring of the gastro-jejunostomy opening. 
I would inquire about the science behind it. I am not aware of any that has shown any sustained benefit. I have however operated on a few patients that had it done, and it makes for an unpleasant experience for a surgeon to revise. There is a significant amount of scar tissue that is formed, with temporary result.
Hope this helps.

Ara Keshishian, MD, FACS, FASMBS
[email protected]
www.dssurgery.com

Most Active