ins denied revision

davebev
on 11/23/09 9:45 pm - yukon, OK
my ins co denied my band to rny revision saying it was not med necessary.my surgeon is trying to set up a peer to peer consult with them-what happens if it'snot approved?
i can't seem to get them to understand that i am very uncomfortable with the band when i eat.i am
unfilled and it's not doing me any good weight wise.i have regained about 30 lbs of the 75 i
initially lost.do people win many appeals?

Melissa A.
on 11/24/09 3:25 am - Beaver FAlls, Pa
Im not sure about the appeal process.  I am awaiting approval from my insurance company for a RYN revision.  I know that my Dr also sets up consults with the insurance company and pushes the best he can.  I have a hiatal hernia and horribe acid reflux.  I also have a piece of bowel still attached to my pouch from when my bypass was originally performed and three Drs have deemed it medically necessary for the revision to be done.  I hope the insurance company goes for it.  GOOD LUCK with your appeal process.  MAybe your dr will be able to convince them.
Melissa
(deactivated member)
on 11/26/09 4:06 am - OXNARD, CA
My insurance company also denied my revision from Lapband to RNY saying it wasn't medically necessary. After the first denial I sought the help of Obesity Law & Advocacy Center. They collected all my medical records and wrote up my appeal letter. It was denied again, but Obesity Law said they would appeal to the next level and dealt with the Department of Managed Care. Within a couple of weeks the denial was overturned and they approved my revision, saying it was medically necessary!

This is something you may want to consider if your insurance company insists on denying the revision.

Good luck to you!
Most Active