Surgery Tuesday!!!! Band over Bypass

snedly318
on 11/22/09 10:08 am - Mine Hill, NJ
Hello!!!!  My surgery is Tuesday.  I am having a revision of my RNY and adding a band over the bypass (BOB).  I am excited and nervous.  I totally trust my surgeon (Dr. Abkin in Florham Park, NJ) but am still slightly nervous.  I know almost everything about the RNY and not much at all about the band.  I am hoping that the initial restriction of the band provides enough of a restriction until day 91 post op when I can have the band adjusted for the 1st time.  I need to stop being hungry all the time and eating more than I should!!! 

Anyone with experience with a BOB is welcome to reply.

---Karen
Snedly318
sfjj4458
on 11/23/09 12:05 am - Paducah, KY
Good luck to you! Please keep me posted on your progress. I would like to have more info as far as did you go through insurance and if not how much was it to self-pay. I am 7 years out from RNY and had no problem until this year. I hurt myself & have been on steriods for almost 6 months. It seems like even though I am off the steriods that I am always hungry. Anyway, best of luck to you & keep me posted on your progress.
ellton
on 11/23/09 12:59 am
Hi there.  I too wish you much success.  I'm also considersing this procedure.  Take care!

Tonya
reenieb
on 11/23/09 3:27 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Good luck, Karen. Is your insurance covering this for you? My hunger is constant and very painful, I can't stand it anymore! I need to do something but I'm afraid of the port from the band. Waht made you decide on this option? Thanks. Maureen
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
snedly318
on 11/23/09 11:59 am - Mine Hill, NJ
The surgery is supposed to be covered by insurance.  We shall see.  I have pre-auth but Aetna can't tell me what they will pay the surgeon so I can figure out what I need to pay the surgeon.  He is out of network.  I am just going to pray and await the EOB's after the surgery. 

I am hungry all the time!!!  I was originally considering the ROSE procedure and had an EGD in August (because of suspected GERD and with the added benefit of checking the bypassed stomach).  I really didn't qualify for the ROSE because my pouch isn't over dilated BUT the anastomosis is very dilated.  This causes food to empty immediately directly into the small bowel.  I don't get the chance to feel full because the food isn't staying in my stomach.  And I have been having hypoglycemia related to the "early" dumping of stomach contents.  Studies have shown that the re-establishment of the restriction at the anastomosis resolves the hypoglycemic issues.  It would seem that the band will also resolve the hunger issue.  I am tired of waking up ravenous in the middle of the night and being hungry within a half hour or less after eating!!!

The surgeon felt that the Band over Bypass was the best option.  I am not too worried about the port.  I see patients will ports of all sorts and they adjust well to them.  I will keep you updated.

Thanks!!
Karen
Snedly318
Rosestar
on 11/23/09 11:51 am
Hello,  I have had the lapband for 2 years now. The port is not bad, really. After the surgery, food is the last thing on your mind, getting fluids in being no.1 or rather dealing with the pain.

The port takes some getting used to. I might miss it for a minute or two once I get my revision.

You WILL feel restriction after the surgery, all that swelling. My band is completely empty and I am tight, especially in the morning. It takes a few weeks for the swelling to go down, for there to be less restriction.

The band did not work for me, though it does work for most people. I wish you the very best. Compared to the other surgeries, the band is an easier recovery, I believe.

Put probes in, push up stomach, staple stomach, locate stoma, put band on stoma, staple, close incisions. No worries!

Go in positive!

(deactivated member)
on 11/25/09 5:53 pm - San Diego, CA
Hi!  I had my BOB in May 2009!  LOVE it so far and exceeded my goal already.  Feel free to PM with questions and please read my blogs which document my journey thus far. :)  Good luck to all of you.
snedly318
on 11/26/09 9:02 am - Mine Hill, NJ
Thank you all!!!  Band over Bypass went well on Tuesday.  Lisa, I will check out your blog.  I am still in a percocet fog.  More pain than I expected, but that's ok.  Since it's been more than 48 hours I had two big events today:  I am now on Full Liquids - which is a treat on Thanksgiving (strained cream of turkey soup and chocolate protein shake) and I was able to remove dressing and shower today.....yeah!!!!  DH has been fabulous....eating Thanksgiving leftovers (we did turkey day this past Saturday).  Incidentally I am not sure under whi*****ision my port is....that's kinda weird, but I am still so horribly swollen.
I have no regrets.....hoping you all are having a memorable Happy Thanksgiving!!!

--Karen
Snedly318
pepsi98
on 11/27/09 8:51 am - Norwich, CT
I had my BOB in 12/08!!  My weight loss has been slow, but it's been a journey getting to good restriction and I think one more very small tweak may be in order.  Feel free to PM me anytime.

Sue
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Most Active