lap to RNY question-referred here by main board:)

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/09 5:50 am, edited 11/22/09 6:16 am

Hi guys:) 
I'm having a conversion on Dec 14, and my doc told me there was a slight risk that he may not be able to do the rny, depending on the shape my stomach is in once the band is removed. He said the stomach gets tough under the band and there is also sometimes adhesion problems. How many conversion peoples would share their experience with me? I've had my band since Dec 2004, and have had problems. Anyone ever wake up with no RNY? Thanks for any info!--Julie (I have a 4mm lap-band, i'm not sure why my profile says vgb?)
(deactivated member)
on 11/23/09 3:30 am - OXNARD, CA
Hi there!

I just had my RNY over band on 11/09/09. I had the lapband since May of 2003. My doctor never said there was a chance he wouldn't be able to perform the RNY. After surgery he did say that there was a lot of scar tissue, but nothing too extreme. The surgery took 3 1/2 hours because of the extra work he had to do, but everything came out fine.
sdikeman
on 11/25/09 2:20 am

My surgeon had 3 options for me: Best case would of course be,  laproscopic removal of band and do RNY. If there was too much scar tissue then he would procede with an open procedure. and the worst case, if it was just a total mess, he would be to remove the band and then go back in later to do the RNY.

Well, while I was "out" they ran a scope down into my stomach and saw that I had lots of scar tissue! Keep in mind that 2 1/2 years ago my band slipped and I had to have it replace. At the surgery I had so much scar tissue that I ended up with a hole in my stomach that then also had to be repaired at the same time. (This was done lap.) So I am sure I had lots of scar tissue this time too - even more. So, Doc did the procedure open and was able to remove the band and do the RNY at the same time since he felt comfortable being hands on with the open procedure. According to him I had excessive scar tissue, around the band and the port!

Most Active