submitted for approval for band to vsg today

marcie K.
on 11/19/09 11:50 am - Sahuarita, AZ

I went in today to get the results from the ugi I had done yesterday.  The ugi shows my band is too high on my stomach so I have no pouch and basically an extended esphogus.  My insurance is no longer going to cover wls after this year but supposedly started covering the sleeve 11/1/09 so we decided to try to get approval. 

I figure if I get approved it's meant to be; if not then I can either try for bypass or try to move my band to where it's supposed to be.  Not sure what I'll do the bypass freaks me out and he thinks that once someone starts having problems with the band they don't tend to get better. 

sgodfrey
on 11/19/09 3:16 pm
Wow.  I was all set on getting the band but after reading about all the problems involved now I'm not so sure...
Starting and current weight: 217
Height: 5'0"    BMI: 42.1
sweetforlife
on 11/19/09 10:31 pm - Canada
Girl, The nest advise I can give you is this. Get the sugery that will fit your personalitly. the reason why I say this is the band is not for everyone. Some people swear by it and for the $16500 that I spent I wi**** was me. But it was not. You have to think, do want to follow up with fills, are you close to the clinic for adjustments as if your too tight you will be eating Tums constantly as you may experience acid reflux and discomfort, you may experience vomitting and chest mail.  I found at times I was travelling with a water bottle to throw up in as things were getting stuck. Then I good friend who I begged not to get the RNY as I thought it would kill her gets it and loosed 175 in 1 year.  Yes I lost 60 lbs but it was a fight with the band. After doing research I feel that the RNY is for me. I waiting six moths with the band before receiving restriction and lost nothing. Just maintained. You have to be prepared for that. Like I said some people love they're band and it works for them. It is certainly a personal preference.

All the best with your decision.

May 7, 2010: Surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO
August 14, 2012: Panni+Fleur de lis!
"I can do all things through CHRIST who strengthens me"

marcie K.
on 11/20/09 12:01 am - Sahuarita, AZ
My band was not put in correctly and it has resulted in lots of problems for me.  That being said I've still lost 82lbs in 7 months.  I have 4 coworkers with the band and lots of other people I know who the band is working for.  It's working for me in some ways but not without costs which is why I'm pursuing the revision.  I really didn't like the idea of changing my anatomy so went with the band; but I've decided I'd rather change my anatomy than weigh 340lb (or more who knows how much I'd gain back this time if they remove my band). 
USAF Wife
on 11/20/09 4:54 am
I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get approval for the revision. Getting my band out was the very best thing I ever did, and life with the sleeve is absolutely fabulous.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

deby_S
on 11/30/09 11:01 am - TX
Tiffany, can you tell me what the recovery was like going from band to VSG.  I would appreciate any information you can share.  I am scheduled for the 11th of December.

Thank you,

Deby
Deby

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.    
Poodles
on 11/20/09 1:48 pm - TX
Wow that is great that your insurance is covering the sleeve.  I wanted that but then when I thought about how far I have to go to be "normal" the DS fit the bill.

My lapband was hell.  I hated that thing.  Now almost 2 weeks out with the DS, I can drink in the morning and eat in the morning and am loving life.  It is awesome not to have that ziptie on me anymore.
 Come to the Dark Side!!!                     
Band to DS revision 11/09/09.
Learn about the Duodenal Switch at dsfacts.com ! Off site comparisons of the 4 WLS 
http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/wls-basics/w eight-loss-surgery-comparison.html
http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

Most Active