Lap band to RNY question

Angie T.
on 11/18/09 8:24 am - Somewhere, NY
Hello everyone,
    I had my revision 10/26. I did great, no problems ect... 
My question is for those of you who had this revision, how long did it take for the old port area to stop being irritated?  I did ask my doc last week and he said there was more scar tissue there as the port was encapsuled with scar tissue and it is swollen do to water. It should absorb back into my body, if it does not, he will remove in the office with a needle. At this point if I wear anything that leans on my waist line, it bothers that incision.
Did this happen to you?
How long did it take to stop feeling sore?

Thanks folks!

Kindness Matters  

Angie

missnanajean
on 11/18/09 11:24 am - Friendswood, TX
I had my revision  lapband to RNY on 11/5 . Today was the best with the pain on my left side. I thought it was totally gone when I got up but when I started walking the burning was bac****il this afternoon. My Dr. said that is where they cut through the muscle and do all the stapling and reconnecting so there's alot of manipulation went on in that site. She suggested a heating pad which has helped alot. It relaxes the muscle and dialtes the vessels so the fluid can absorb and the healing can take place. I now sleep with the heatingpad on my side and have been able to sleeep sound the last 3 nights. I don't have a bulge like when I had the lapband but it burns and feels tight. Yes when does this go away?
  Miss  Jean   
Angie T.
on 11/18/09 8:24 pm - Somewhere, NY
When you say left side, is it where your port once was? It only made sense to me when my doc said there was more scar tissue there ect... I just cant wait to not be bothered by it. It is becoming annoying to have to wear dresses and find pants without a "waist band" that sits at that spot.

THANKS for your reply, and I hope you feel better soon!

Kindness Matters  

Angie

missnanajean
on 11/19/09 6:31 am - Friendswood, TX
Yeah, I think those of us  with revision will have more pain because my Dr. had sewn the port to the muscle so it wouldn't flip. I just went to a meeting today that lasted 21/2 hr.s and  I used an exercise waist binder that worked good. I lasted all day. I was even able to walk all over the hospital where the meeting was without resting part way. I also asked 2 friends at the meeting one 6yr.out and the other 31/2yr.s out if they had this pain and both said no.  They don't remember any pain  or having a pain pump.They were more exhausted and had problems with dehydration and low vitamin levels. So if all balanced I'll take the annoying pain for a week or so more verses the nausea and other problems. It was intersting both are maintaining but eating candy .cookies and popcorn. No wonder they are so exhausted all the time.I was shocked one of them had a huge sandwich, chips ,candy and a Dr.Pepper and Kolache pastry while the meeting was going on. The other ate a whole big bag of popcorn,They both commented on how good I look compared to them at 2 weeks out. That was my WoW for the day. This is 2 weeks out today and down 15# no problems with anything food wise so far.How are you?
  Miss  Jean   
Angie T.
on 11/19/09 7:36 pm - Somewhere, NY
I'm glad to hear you have no problems, me too. The past week I've started to have "real food" eggs, chicken, chili, sliced turkey, banana w/peanut butter and so far so good. I'm anxiously waiting until I get the okay for salad. I miss having salad, but scared at the same time. I find myself having to really concentrate on how much water I'm getting in. If I'm not paying attention, by the end of the day I realize, "oh crap, I hardly had any" Cold water was bothersome and room temp, I just didnt enjoy but that seems to be getting better too. I'm 4 weeks out and have lost 23 lbs. I think you are right about the "more pain" thing. My doc pretty much said the same thing. I just want it to go away, so I can bend without feeling it and start to wear anything without being conscious of where the waist band lies.
Stay well, and keep in touch!

Kindness Matters  

Angie

Debba
on 11/19/09 10:19 pm - West Deptford, NJ
Revision on 05/19/09 with
Hi All!

I had my revision on May 19th.  It seemed to take quite a while for the port area pain to dwindle.  Actually, I'm 6 months out and still get a little twinge of pain every once in a while if I twist or turn a certain way.  For the most part, it's gone - so give it a little more time. 

Sounds like everyone is doing well - great job, ladies!!

Debbie Joy

Angie T.
on 11/20/09 9:42 am - Somewhere, NY

How long would you estimate? I called my doc today and he said give it another week or so, and see how I feel.

Kindness Matters  

Angie

Debba
on 11/20/09 11:29 pm - West Deptford, NJ
Revision on 05/19/09 with
Hard to say - the incision itself, on the outside, healed pretty quick.  The pain I experienced was from the inside, I guess where the port had to be "disconnected" from the muscle.  That took forever!  I'm 6 months out and still get a twinge of pain every now and again in that area.  I would go with the Doctor's suggestion - give it another week .  If it still doesn't seem right to you, then see him.  Better to be safe than sorry.

Angie T.
on 11/22/09 12:28 am - Somewhere, NY
Thanks Debba!

Kindness Matters  

Angie

Most Active