LapBand Revision

Ara Keshishian
on 11/22/09 9:40 pm - Glendale, CA
 Good morning
I could not agree more with you- My point exactly. I was only trying to show why there are so many band failures and that even the manufacturer knows about it. 
I have taken more bands out than I have placed them in, for the same reasons. I think band has very limited utility in the scheme of things. You are also correct to comment on the increase in revisions, and that is what we have been experiencing from all other surgeries.

Thanks you.

Ara Keshishian, MD, FACS, FASMBS
[email protected]
www.dssurgery.com

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/09 10:16 pm - AZ
On November 23, 2009 at 5:40 AM Pacific Time, keshishiana wrote:
 Good morning
I could not agree more with you- My point exactly. I was only trying to show why there are so many band failures and that even the manufacturer knows about it. 
I have taken more bands out than I have placed them in, for the same reasons. I think band has very limited utility in the scheme of things. You are also correct to comment on the increase in revisions, and that is what we have been experiencing from all other surgeries.

Thanks you.

My apologies, I am so sleep deprived from too many on call hours that I totally misread your post.  I thought you were supporting the band.

Just ignore me when I write stupid stuff. ;o)

There is another doctor on another board that believes the band will be obsolete in 5 years or so, do you agree with this statement?

Ara Keshishian
on 11/22/09 11:39 pm - Glendale, CA
 I agree the band may very well become part of the history. It is important to appreciate that the weight loss surgical field, like most of the filed of medicine, goes thru changes and evolution.  
Ara
[email protected]
www.dssurgery.com

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/09 10:26 pm - AZ

Oh, one other question albeit off topic.

I had my surgery in Mexico, absolutely love my surgeon and would go to him for anything bariatric related.  But in the three years posting on message boards I have noticed something about MX docs vs. US.

My doc gives me Effexor for OCD, my obsession and compulsion with food.  And btw, it works well.  I don't take it all the time, just during periods of stress.  A few weeks out of every six months.  I take it and it totally kills my head hunger.

This is soooooo effective for some of us but I have never heard of a US doctor doing this.  I am wondering why that is.  I think that is a big reason for my ability to maintain so easily.  I'm not battling what got us fat to begin with, head hunger.  Well, it doesn't help white carbs but when the head hunger sets in it works wonders.

Thoughts?

TIA

Ara Keshishian
on 11/22/09 11:41 pm - Glendale, CA
 I can speak for myself. I do not feel comfortable prescribing medications that I do not know all that I need to. 
Ara
[email protected]
www.dssurgery.com

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/09 11:44 pm - AZ
On November 23, 2009 at 7:41 AM Pacific Time, keshishiana wrote:
 I can speak for myself. I do not feel comfortable prescribing medications that I do not know all that I need to. 
Ara

Need a link for detailed info on OCD meds? ;o))))

GPs prescribe Effexor and other similar drugs.  Curious that you do not.

I'm telling you, this makes life a whole lot easier for the patients.

jass28
on 12/10/09 3:53 am - A Town, NJ
DON'T GET THE BAND.  Look into the DS.  When I was looking to revise to the RNY I saw how many RNY patients were seeking a revision and quite frankly it scared me.  I also saw how they were most revising to the DS so i thought to myself "why put myself in a predicament where I may need a 3rd WLS" so I went with the DS and have not looked back.  I was miserable with the band and now I AM SO HAPPY.  If you have questions about life with the band let me know.  I wi****alked to more people before getting the band as now most people that had it or have I come across tell me how miserable they are. 

339/318.6/125/155/165
SW/SW/LW/CW/GW      
Revision from Lapband to DS and Had healthy post-op baby, LOVE MY DS!

Most Active