Planning a positive outcome

woolstitcher
on 11/17/09 1:09 am - OH
Currently I’m waiting for Ins. Approval for my BOB revision.  I’m trying to plan better this time around and also take advantage of the information/support that is available now that wasn’t available 14 yrs ago when I had RNY. What do you think are the most important things that make a person successful in WLS? Even more, what do you think are the most important things that make a person successful w/ their revision?  So far, I understand that joining a support group is one of the best things I can do. I have found one that I enjoy and can see myself participating in long term.  Another thing I’m planning is to follow up with the dietitian every month to 6 wks for at least a year.  I also really like the medical team that I’m working with. I know I’m not a huge fan of exercise …  somehow I need to get myself more motivated/interested.  I have joined the local YMCA, so access is no longer an issue.   Some of the things that I hope are helpful this time around are: When I had my RNY I was single, no kids, no job, and very few interests. Currently, I’m married, have 2 amazing kids, and have quite a few outside interests and goals.   Thoughts?    Thanks!
"Mom, in our house every day is Autism Awareness Day"
~my 9 year old w/ ASD
kjfras
on 11/17/09 6:32 am - North Lauderdale, FL
I think your planning sounds great!  I'm in the process of choosing the Band or the ROSE, although I am leaning towards the band, I think there seems to be more successes with it.

I have already called my insurance company and found a therapist in my network that deals with food issues pertaining the WLS patients, I just hope she has an opening!  I also have started looking into support groups.

i had my surgery 9 yrs ago and there was very little supports even then.  My dr. had his medical license revoked after so many lawsuits so there was no follow up after a year.  I think this time that will change as my new Dr. is very adamant about follow up and every person I met in the waiting room was there for a follow up - that's a good sign!

I know what are my triggers now - so I just have to use these other tools help me to be more successful the second time aoround.  I wish you luck on your new journey!

BTW - EXCELLENT question!!!

Kerry
woolstitcher
on 11/19/09 11:52 pm - OH
Thanks! 
I know that there are quite a few ppl that enjoy going to OA, I have been there and done that and it didn't work for me, however, it DOES work for a lot of ppl.  One of the advantages is that it's free.
I hope you can find a therapist, having a good therapist can change your life. 
I understand about the doc getting revoked, my doc "quit" because he said that his malpractice insurance was to high ... well, that's the party line anyway.  It happens to not be anywhere near the truth.

"Mom, in our house every day is Autism Awareness Day"
~my 9 year old w/ ASD
Most Active