Had initial Consult - Still No Clue

kjfras
on 11/17/09 6:07 am - North Lauderdale, FL
Well, I went in today for my inital consult on a revision from my original GB RNY in 7/01.  I had originally lost 164lbs and have gained back 150 over it.  Why the hell I waited this long I will never know.

The doc seemed very knowledgable but really socked it to me and said he can do a revision with either the ROSE or Lap-Band since those are the only two he does.  He said it will ultimately be up to me to give up on the foods I've become accustom to and strongly urged me to see a nutritonalist and a therapist since previously I stopped gaining weight when I went to one in the past.  I told him I am willing to re-commit, that I just need some tool to help me because I have been trying on my own and the most I lose is 30 lbs then I get stuck and pissed off so I stop and gain it back.  Somehow I get the feeling that he doesn't believe me.  Maybe I'm just projecting my feelings on to him.

Anyways - the whole point of this is I'm really not sure which way to go - ROSE or Band.  He set me up with an Upper GI series this Friday and then I have the Endoscopy in a few weeks, then we get back together to discuss what option is best for me. 

I'm not sure if my insurance will cover the LapBand as a revision.  That will cost be $13,500 self pay and the ROSE will cost me $10k self pay. 

What are everyone's thoughts?  I really wanted the DS but there are no "strong" drs in Florida as Dr.Gagner moved overseas and now is practicing in NY. 

Arrgghhh....anyone have any advice on these two procedures or dealt with them?

Any advise would be appreciated -

Thanks!

Kerry

Kerry J                   Stillhopefull (Terry) is my Angel!!!! 
                                                    Angel to Baylady35310 (Linda)
7/9/01 RNY - 354 HW down to 192 LW
12/6/10 DS Revision - GW 170
DS HW 353
DS SW 332

DS CW 184 (-148 since surgery / -169 total) 

Plastics completed by Dr.Sauceda in MX 8/9/13 - LBL w anchor cut, long thigh lift, breast lift, butt augmentation and arm lift.               

dana712
on 11/17/09 6:57 am
I am also seeking a revision, i am looking into the ERNY(distal rny).
kjfras
on 11/17/09 7:10 am - North Lauderdale, FL
I've been looking into that too - but my Dr. said he doesn't like to do it - wouldn't tell me why, probably because I didn't delve into it further. 

I just want to make sure I'm making the right choice as I only will do this revision thing 1 time.

The closest place to do a DS is in GA - about 10 hrs away.  Not sure I want to get involved in that since I would have to drive there for follow up and God forbid any complications. 

I guess I just need to keep doing research and see what my tests show.  I just don't want my Dr to push the ROSE procedure on me because it's quick and easy $10k for him.  I want the tool that will help me the most.

I wish you luck on your revision!
Davina S.
on 11/17/09 8:01 am - Naperville, IL
I am seeking a revision, too.  However, I already had the RNY and the Lap Band.  For me, the band did nothing.  And, now it is leaking.  I talked with my doc about the erny even before doing the band, but he said the band would work and that he, too, did not like doing the erny if he didn't need to.  Well, now I am needing a revision to either fix my port or go for the erny (which after I told him I was considering going to another surgeon for the DS he said he could do the erny, but wanted to try to fix the port first).  He seems sincerely concerned about the erny and ds procedures, probably because you are dealing with a lot of scar tissue.  And some docs for the DS revision actually undo the pouch and try to recreate the stomach into a sleeve, but that's all I really know about that.  My doc says that moving the small intestines down farther to shorten the common channel should have the same results (assuming the pouch hasn't stretched out or the opening there, which I think is called the stoma- never sure if people are talking about that opening or the one down by the common channel!) 

I would go for the endoscopy if for no other reason than to identify malfunctions which should help with the insurance part.  I go see my doc again on Dec 11 to go over this ONE LAST TIME before we proceed.  I know I am still going to need to press him a bit, but I want the erny and will request another endo for that same reason.  Also, to make me feel a little better if there are malfunctions with my rny.

It could never hurt to investigate other surgeons in your area about the erny, he's not the ONLY doc I am sure!  The DS is another story and someone else would have better info in that regard, but if it were me I would go for the erny...  just heard about the ROSE recently so it's not established enough for me to try it, and the band just didn't cut it.  With that said, EVERYONE is DIFFERENT, so the band may be all you need... 

Now...  Are you as confused as I am ???   lol

Best of luck with whatever you decide...

God bless all of our efforts...  Davina 
You can give without loving, but you cannot love without giving. 
~ Amy Carmichael ~

kjfras
on 11/17/09 11:38 am - North Lauderdale, FL
Davina -

Why didn't the band work for you?  I'm just wondering because some people I've talked to they have had great success with it and others say they only lost a few pounds on it.  I just would like to know why you think it didn't work for you - were you hungry all the time? Or were there complications with it?

Any info you can give me about it I would appreciate.

I agree about him not being the only surgeon - I only went to him because he came highly reccomended by several people I know.  I guess it wouldn't hurt to look up other surgeons in the area that might do revisions and ERNY's....maybe I should let you be the guinea pig, huh???  LOL

Wishing you luck with whatever you choose

Kerry
Davina S.
on 11/17/09 7:00 pm - Naperville, IL
Hi, Kerry...

It takes a lot of trial and error to get the right restriction on the band.  For me, it was either too tight, or too loose.  For a long time I was able to eat way too much, and I was hungry so I did.  Then, sometime over the past several months I sprung a leak so I have been able to eat pretty much whatever I want.  As for the port, it was placed too high under my ribs so it would get caught and really hurt sometimes.  Then it must have "broken loose" because now it migrates all over the place, wherever it wants.  And I still feel it get stuck or pinch on something too often for my liking.  But, that is my own experience.  I just don't like having it there because I can feel it there.

As for your surgeon, reputation and designations are key.  Look for a Center of Excellence or a Blue Distinction clinic if you can.  You may not have Medicare or Blue Cross Blue Shield, but the programs that qualify go through very rigourous inspections and they also go by volume and success rate.  Just a thought!

Anyway, many blessings...  I am sure you will make the best decision for you!  Good luck!
God bless all of our efforts...  Davina 
You can give without loving, but you cannot love without giving. 
~ Amy Carmichael ~

kjfras
on 11/18/09 12:25 am - North Lauderdale, FL
Thanks alot Davina for the information.  I like to know what everyones ideas and experiences are, that way I can make the best decision. 

The surgeon I am seeing, Dr.Thomas Bass in Hollywood Florida is a Center for Excellence so that makes me feel better.  I think I will still look into other surgeons tho - just to get their thoughts. 

Thanks so much for being honest and candid with me - I really appreciate that!

Good luck to you as well!

Kerry
strawberry28
on 11/18/09 10:51 am - somewhere, MD
Find a doctor that does all surgeries.  Research the difference in the Distal RNY and DS..

Get the DS.

Lapband over RNY...adds so much more scar tissue to your body and if it fails you..the next surgery will be so very risky for leaks etc. 
SW= 268     
CW= 145  ***GOAL REACHED on Christmas Day 2010****             
GW=145
5'6"       BMI= 23
 LapBand 3/2006 to Revision DS 12/2009
Get the FACTS about the Duodenal Switch at www.DSFACTS.com or http://www.duodenalswitch.com/

Extended Tummy Tuck, BL/BA scheduled for 11/18/11 Dr. Larry Lickstein          

kjfras
on 11/19/09 5:38 am - North Lauderdale, FL
I am just so very scared of DS.  I have yet to see a single person that had a DS but had NO complications....are there any out there???

I had an RNY and I had ZERO complications and was back at work less than 2 weeks later and I had it OPEN.  The surgeon in my area that does it works mainly in North Florida not here in the south although he does have a practice here.  I don't have the time to spend driving 5 hrs should I have a complication with it.

I'm truly leaning toward the band, I'm just not 100% sold on it.  Forget the ROSE - everyone said it's not worth it.
strawberry28
on 11/19/09 7:45 am - somewhere, MD
Have you been to the DS board.  Ask about that...Many do not have complications.. It is really important on what surgeon you choose with the DS because it is a difficult surgery.  That's why many bariatric surgeons do not do it. 

Don't be scared/...be informed

Come over to the DS board and ask away...
SW= 268     
CW= 145  ***GOAL REACHED on Christmas Day 2010****             
GW=145
5'6"       BMI= 23
 LapBand 3/2006 to Revision DS 12/2009
Get the FACTS about the Duodenal Switch at www.DSFACTS.com or http://www.duodenalswitch.com/

Extended Tummy Tuck, BL/BA scheduled for 11/18/11 Dr. Larry Lickstein          

Most Active