Revision from RNY to DS

aqtnsc
on 11/16/09 3:16 am
I am seeking a revision from RNY to DS. There are no surgeons in SC that do the DS at all. I am on a year long waiting list with a DS surgeon in Charlotte,NC. I was told this morning by his staff that my status on the list has not changed and an informational seminar may not be until next summer! On top of that, attending the informational seminar does not guarantee a consult within a yr either. I'm also on the medicare waiting list with Dr. Husted pending approval of Center of Excellence certification. His staff does not know how long the certification process will take .The medicare waiting list for him is also very long so I could be on the waiting list with him for years. I don't have years to wait for a revision, so I am looking at DS surgeons anywhere (to consult with at least) without a waiting list that is years long. My biggest fear is that I will wait patiently for my turn on these waiting lists and once i am finally at the consultation, the Drs. will not agree to take on my case. Any advice or suggestions please? Thanks!
Dancin-D
on 11/16/09 8:50 am - Bellville, TX
My Dr, Eric Wilson UTMB Houston, Tx. might be a choice for you.  I don't think his list that long.  I'm having a new procedure done.......rny to redoing the Y lower down in the small intestine.  He's going to leave the pouch alone.  Good Luck.
Dancin'D
Dancin' D
7/7/04 rny/lap -210
4/13/07 butt,thighlift w/ lipo, Dr. J Lo
7/25/07 tt/arms/knees w/ lipo Dr. J Lo
aqtnsc
on 11/16/09 2:39 pm
Thanks Dancin-D!
strawberry28
on 11/16/09 10:14 am - somewhere, MD
Hi

If you want the DS please go to link below and see the list of surgeons.  It is critically important you find a surgeon that specializes in the DS.

http://www.dsfacts.com/ 

Good luck
SW= 268     
CW= 145  ***GOAL REACHED on Christmas Day 2010****             
GW=145
5'6"       BMI= 23
 LapBand 3/2006 to Revision DS 12/2009
Get the FACTS about the Duodenal Switch at www.DSFACTS.com or http://www.duodenalswitch.com/

Extended Tummy Tuck, BL/BA scheduled for 11/18/11 Dr. Larry Lickstein          

aqtnsc
on 11/16/09 2:38 pm
Strawberry
I have been on dsfacts.com. As a matter of fact, I have the patient info packet for Dr. Elariny.  The only hold up with me traveling to an info seminar with him is the $3,200.00 program fee I was told that he charges upfront before you consult with him.
strawberry28
on 11/16/09 8:23 pm - somewhere, MD
I'm not sure if that is totally accurate.  I am having surgery in a few weeks and I have not paid him anything yet.  The info session is free, then you make the appt. for consultation.  I didn't pay anything.  The "program fee" $2000 is optional.  However, he does require you to pay an out of pocket portion for the proceedure you are getting .  So that cost varies from person to person.  If you are close enough to attend the info session I recommend it.  It will give you an opportunity to meet with him and ask these questions personally.

Good luck

SW= 268     
GW=145
5'6"       BMI= 23
Get the FACTS about the Duodenal Switch at www.DSFACTS.com or http://www.duodenalswitch.com/

aqtnsc
on 11/16/09 9:21 pm, edited 11/16/09 10:27 pm
Strawberry
Thanks for all the info! I plan to attend the info session on Tuesday, Jan. 5th, 2010- I just don't want to make that trip to VA with high hopes, only to have them shattered because I can't afford to pay the program fee. I will call his office this morning and speak to his staff about the program fee being that I have Medicare and Medicaid. I don't understand what you mean when you state that the $2,000 program fee is optional.
strawberry28
on 11/17/09 2:59 am - somewhere, MD
Yes program fee $ 2000 is optional (includes nutirtionist visits (3), body scan, and a bottle of vitamins..maybe something else can't remember.

I opted to not pay the program fee.  BUT, I still had to pay for the required nutritionist $500 and the out of pocket cost required for the proceedure.  This cost for the proceedure runs anywhere between $ 4,000 to 10,000.  So ask them about your situation to get a better idea of the cost you will need to pay before surgery.

hope this helps
SW= 268     
GW=145
5'6"       BMI= 23

aqtnsc
on 11/17/09 5:54 am
I have my consultation with Dr. Elariny scheduled for the day after the info session. I will talk to the nurse about my out of pocket costs on that day.
ladydi1970
on 11/16/09 10:20 am - GA
I recommend Dr. John Husted, yeah it's cheesy that he has ads here.  But he is one of the TOP revision surgeons.  And that's NOT my personal opinion, it's facts. (He's in Somerset KY...I traveled from just west of Atlanta, and my parents traveled from Lakeland FL to be with me in KY...THAT'S how much faith I have in him!)

I LOVE this man.  He saved me!

His insurance lady leaves a lot to be desired, but the other lady in his office, and the 2 ladies at the bariatric center are AMAZING.

Just my $.02.

Diana   DS Revision from '99 RNY 
UHC Denied Jan'09/APPROVED Feb'09 
DS-SW287; CW/190 GW/152

Most Active