Need Advice, DS or PS

LauraMom
on 11/14/09 11:19 pm
 Hi All, I've been coming to OH since about 1999, when I started researching my WLS.  I'm now at a crossroads and I need some opinions.  I'm a big girl.  Almost 6 ft tall, big frame, etc.  At my top weight of 398, I carried it well and people are always shocked that I weighed that much.  I had a RNY in Nov. 2003 with Dr. Dennis Smith in Atlanta, GA.  I almost went with the DS but I knew that I wanted another child and the RNY seemed "safer" at the time, to Dr. Smith and I,  since future  pregnancy was on the table.  Had no problems with the surgery, he is just amazing.  I went from 398 down to 220 and then slowly went back up to about 235.  With my build, I was pretty happy there and stayed stable for 2 years.  I was very healthy and happy where I was.    I got pregnant in 2006, had my son in Spring 2007.   I got up to about 278 with the pregnancy but wasn't stressed, he was healthy,  that is all that mattered.  I've worked my fanny off to lose and have now gotten down to about 255.  I have huge amounts of skin and a very large, heavy pani.  It really strains my back and it getting impossible to deal with.    I came back to OH to start looking at my PS options but now, after reading and researching,  I'm thinking that I may need to think about a revision.  I have large amounts of loose skin, but I also definitely have some fat to deal with that isn't moving with diet and excercise.  I don't know where I should turn.   Should I concentrate on a revision and try to lose another 60-70 pounds or should I get the loose skin and large pani taken care of so that I could excercise more comfortably and get to goal that way?   The fact that I am a big girl and can carry the extra weight well is making the decision tough.  What is my best option?  I would really like to lose more but I have BCBS POS so I'm probably going to be paying out of pocket.  Since I'm not rich, I will have one shot and need to make a wise decision.  What would you do?  A revision?  Go for the PS?    I know that I want Dr. Smith if I choose the revision path.  He is just the best.   Anybody else had to make this decision?   I welcome any and all opinions.  Thanks for reading!!

LauraMom
Dancin-D
on 11/16/09 9:04 am - Bellville, TX
Wow, that's a tough question.  I lost 200lbs w/ rny and had big saddlebags (450lbs at start).  So I went for the plastics thinking that if I had those off my legs, I would be able to exercise more easily.  All went well.  That was 2 yrs. ago and I still haven't been able to lose anymore wt.  I workout with a trainer 2x's week/ zumba classes 2/wk. and walk.  My food journal shows I'm doing what I'm suppose to do with my diet.  My surgeon is going to do a revision......rny to moving the connection of the Y lower down on the small intestine. He'll leave the pouch as is.  This should help me lose another 70-80lbs. (I'm 5'2"). The malabsorption will be a problem, so I'll take more Vits. Also if I eat fat or sugars, I'll have diahrrea.  So I have researched and  decided this surgery is right for me. I know this doesn't answer your question but I wanted to share my experience with you.  I think that if you research (which you are now doing) thoroughly, make a decision and just go for that.  I know that all of our journeys are different.  Hopefully we will be healthy, mobile, and living our life to the fullest.  Good Luck.
Dancin' D
rny/lap 7-7-04
thighlift 4-4-07
tt/knees/arms 7-25-07
revision to come 12-1-09
Dancin' D
7/7/04 rny/lap -210
4/13/07 butt,thighlift w/ lipo, Dr. J Lo
7/25/07 tt/arms/knees w/ lipo Dr. J Lo
LauraMom
on 11/16/09 12:48 pm
 Thanks D!   I think that I'm going to go down the revision road first, I need to get closer to goal.  I appreciate you telling me your story.  I hope the new surgery will get you there!!  Keep on Dancin!!
beemerbeeper
on 11/24/09 11:35 am - AL
I didn't think Dr Smith did revisions to the DS.  If I was going to do a revision to the DS I would most definitely check out the DS forum and find the surgeon's who are known for doing revisions and high risk surgeries.

Whether you should have the DS or PS I can't answer.

Good luck to you whatever you decide.

Becky

Most Active