My surgery is coming soon! Proximal RNY to Distal RNY

(deactivated member)
on 11/17/09 2:44 am - Woodbridge, VA
Yes, what you are having is an extended or distal RNY. It is NOT like a DS - your common channel may be similar to that of the DS, but you will still have a pouch and stoma and blind stomach (complete with 100% ghrelin production), and you will still be bypassing the pylorus and entire duodenum. RNY to distal RNY is the easier revision to perform, but, IMO, it is more diffiult to live with than the DS because you will have more malabsorption and yet still only a pouch instead of a sleeve, so you will be malabsorbing more, but you will not be able to take more in. This means you will need more supplements for vitamins and minerals, plus you will likely have to increase your protein intake.
daisymom
on 11/17/09 6:58 am - Belmont, NC
Well, I'll be going with the distal. I just want the safest revision. I know some of you may not agree with this decision, but that's okay. Thank you all for reading my posts and giving suggestions. I greatly appreciate it.
shele
on 11/17/09 10:44 pm

I have to tell you this, please don't take it wrong. I was scared to death of the full ds revison as I have 5 kids at home, the youngest was just 3 at the time, the oldest was 15. So I def understand the fear.  I just knew I could not deal with being down any longer than 4-6 weeks if I would have a complication.  WELL guess what?  I had complications anyways.  Nothing life threatening, but I had several wound issues that left me unable to drive or lift anything just like post surgery.  I had the surgery in March, and just had a re-occurence in September! I had a wound vac....etc etc. etc......point being there are no guarantees with any surgery that it will be complication free! 

I beg you, if you have any trouble with ulcers, a stretched stoma, or any trouble at all eating solid meat to reconsider what you are about to do. 

I am now having trouble gettting my protein in because my ulcer is acting up. I can't tolerate meat unless it is like ground up or really soft and moist. And I am loctose and I believe whey intollerant,,, so now what?

I will support you no matter what you decide, but just want you to be infomed!

This post is meant as a help, not a put down at all!!!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

daisymom
on 11/18/09 5:31 am - Belmont, NC
Thanks for your support. I didn't take your post negatively. I know I can get complications from this surgery too or having the full DS. Right now, I feel like I want to go with the distal. I don't have any ulcers, and I don't have trouble eating meat.
I'll be sure to give you an update afterwards.
Thanks again for your support.
shellshock
on 11/18/09 9:31 am - Bremerton, WA
It is your decision and yours only. Good Luck to you. I had my revision done yesterday. I went from the Lapband to RNY Medial. Feeling okay except for the one incision where they took out my port. Staying on my meds helps.
Shellshock
Revision from Lapband to RNY
Surgery date: 11/17/09 - Dr. Srikanth
HW 316/ SW 283/ CW 235 / 1st Goal 250/ 2nd Goal 200/ 3rd Goal 175 

randy S.
on 7/11/11 8:06 am - brooklyn, NY
Can u plz tell me how you are doing after you revised from prx rny to erny. Thank you.
daisymom
on 11/18/09 6:39 pm - Belmont, NC
Thank you!!!
Most Active