My surgery is coming soon! Proximal RNY to Distal RNY

daisymom
on 11/14/09 3:43 am - Belmont, NC
Hi everyone,
I'm getting nervous and anxious! My surgery is Fri, 11-20-09. I'll be going from a proximal RNY to a distal RNY. I had gastric bypass in 2003 and did really well and lost 140 lbs. I kept it off for about a year. I have now gained all the weight back that I lost due to poor eating habits and not following the rules. I feel like I now have a second chance. I'm scared of failure again. I've got all my vitamins ordered and have my liquids ready for after surgery.
I would like to lose 140 lbs. Is there anyone out there that has gotten a distal RNY because you gained all your weight back? If so, were you able to lose back down to where you were after your original bypass?
I've been reading posts for awhile now, and I've become familiar with some of the ones on this revision board who have had the distal bypass. I just don't know if there's anyone out there who has had a distal bypass and was able to lose over 100 lbs. If so, can you share your experience?
Thanks for reading!
Cheryl
princesslaura
on 11/14/09 6:36 am - Starke, FL
I had my RNY 10 years ago and I'm looking into having it redone.  What is the difference between a distal RNY and a proximal RNY?  I originally lost 130 lbs. and have gained back 70 of it.
princesslaura
on 11/14/09 6:40 am - Starke, FL
Hi again,
Who is doing your surgery?
mrdoores
on 11/14/09 7:22 am - Waldorf, MD
Hi Cheryl,
i am also seeking a revision from proximal to distal and you have asked a very good question.  I would also like to know if anyone lost over 100#s, how long it took and have yiu been able to maintain the lose???? 
Please help us with this information.
Thanks for your help.

Marianna

shele
on 11/14/09 8:20 am

Hey guys!

I have the erny or distal, and am loosing slow,y. My common channel is 120 which maybe part of the reason why.  I do know of one who has lost 140 i believe. Look in my profile or find her on the ds forum. Her name is beth and she is on my friends list. She has always been very open and answers any questions I throw her way.

I don't want to offend any of you or make you angry, but I wish I would have had the guts to go for the full ds revision.  I am watching some of the ones on the ds board that did have the rny to ds revision and they are loosing much faster than I am.  BUT Joyce, Janie, and I believe Deanne have all lost quickly with their distal revisions.

Just make sure you know what you are getting into, and I wish you all the very Best and a very safe and quick recovery!!!!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Ara Keshishian
on 11/14/09 3:38 pm - Glendale, CA
Hello,
Loosing slow or fast is not the issue. 
The success of a surgery is defined with its longevity. It is no secret that I am in favor of the revision to DS for all patients who have not maintained adequate weight loss on RNY. The reason why patients gain weight back has very little to nothing to do with compliance and mostly to do with the nature of the surgery itself. The published data on RNY is out there and clear.
I would strongly recommend anyone who is looking into revision, look for the most successful operation long term, and not the one that gets to a "target" weight in a short time frame, but results in weight gain or other complications down the road.

I strongly recommend that anyone seeking revision to do objective research of all procedures available. 
 Ara Keshishian, MD, FACS, FASMBS
[email protected]
www.dssurgery.com

daisymom
on 11/14/09 9:19 pm - Belmont, NC
Thank you to all *****sponded to my post. I also posted this on the RNY forum, and I got a lot of replies from the DS folks. My plan is to call Dr. Sudan's office tomorrow morning and ask further about a revision to the DS instead of the distal RNY. Wish me luck!
Thanks again!
shele
on 11/15/09 5:42 am

I believe you are making a very wise decision!

Good luck and let us know!!!!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

aqtnsc
on 11/15/09 10:53 am
Daisy
I just found about about Dr. Sudan today  and will be contacting his office tomorrow as well about a revision from RNY to DS. Best of luck to you!
Dancin-D
on 11/16/09 9:10 am - Bellville, TX
What is a distal RNY?  I'm having a revision from rny.  The doc. is reconnecting the "y" lower in the lower intestine.   Is this a distal?  He said it is like the DS but not redoing the pouch. 
Dancin'D
Dancin' D
7/7/04 rny/lap -210
4/13/07 butt,thighlift w/ lipo, Dr. J Lo
7/25/07 tt/arms/knees w/ lipo Dr. J Lo
Most Active