Band Over Bypass

ellton
on 11/14/09 1:22 am
Hello.  For those of you that had a band placed over your bypass can you share your experience with weight loss with me?  When did you have the procedure?  How long were you in the hospital?  Are you happy with your results?

Thank you!

Tonya
(deactivated member)
on 11/14/09 10:46 am, edited 11/14/09 10:46 am - San Diego, CA
Hi Tonya!

It is with GREAT excitement that I share my experience with my B.O.B. (band-over-bypass).  I had my original RNY in 2002 (pre-surgery weight 259), lost 115lbs, maintained that weight loss for over 5 years, and then ballooned back up to 190 over a 2 year period (50 lb weight gain).

After much extensive research, I chose and had my BOB on May 28, 2009 in Tijuana, MX (I live in San Diego).  I stayed 2 nights and my surgery was uneventful (just as I had prayed for!).  My surgery started as a lap procedure, but due to obscene amounts of scar tissue (he removed 2 lbs!) he converted to an open procedure once he was in there.  I knew that was a possibility and my original RNY was open too so no big deal there.  As with that first surgery, my recovery was about 3 weeks.  My surgeon is the BEST and I am so thankful I chose him after interviewing others before making my decision.

I follow my surgeon's food & exercise protocol religiously and have lost 54 lbs.  I am 15 lbs under the goal set by my surgeon (which was 150) and 5 lbs under the goal I had set for myself (which is 140).  I have gone from a size 16 to a size 2-4 and feel FABULOUS.

I am thankful to have the second chance that my BOB has given me.  I have several blogs on my profile page which really detail my journey and welcome you to read them for more specific information.  Also, feel free to PM me with questions.

Good luck!

Nannette
on 11/17/09 3:58 am - Toms River, NJ
I lost 180 with my RNY in 2003, and have regained 54 pounds in the last three years, and cannot seem to get back on track.  I tried the Stomophyx procedure in 2007 since altough my pouch is ok sized, my stoma is very large.  It was a failure and a waste of $9,000.

I am now considering the feasibility of a band over my bypass and am very interested in your story.  Were you able to get insurnace to cover the revision.  If not, how much did it cost?  How did you end up in Mexico for the procedure?

Any and all help you can give me, I would appreciate.  I have been unable to find a surgeon in my state that will do a BOB procedure.

Thanks
Nannette

Nannette
Lap RNY 6/16/03
Revise to DS 8/15/11

reenieb
on 11/23/09 3:43 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Nannette, my story mirrors yours although I'm hanging on by my fingernails with the weight regain. I'm terrified. I also had the rosE procedure about a year and a half ago and it was a total failure. Endoscopy revision procedures DO NOT WORK and I am saddened every time I see someone posting that they are about to have one done - surgeons are making a fortune off our desperate need to turn the tide of regaining the weight. And we end up feeling ashamed and alone with it, wondering what the hell is wrong with me??? I'm afraid of the BOB option because of the port - I just can't stand the thought of something sticking out of me like that. And I have serious doubts as to the long term success, just like the RNY. I wish I had the answers - but thanks for your post, you made me feel like I'm not so alone with it all... Maureen
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
woolstitcher
on 11/14/09 6:45 pm - OH
Hi, i'm very interested in this as well.  I'm considering BOB, if all goes well, and i don't get too afraid, i should be having it in the next 2 months.
good luck!
"Mom, in our house every day is Autism Awareness Day"
~my 9 year old w/ ASD
smilyldy
on 11/20/09 5:28 am - CA
I have been looking into band over bypass also - I originally had my surgery 11 years ago.  I have gained a lot of weight back, but still am not at my original weight.

I saw the original surgeon yesterday and his response to me, without even hearing what I have done to set myself up for success or what I feel may have contributed to the weight gain said -

"There are about 15% of people who fail their surgery.  There is nothing surgically I can do to help you.  If you failed the first time - you will fail again."

Talk about frustrating and humiliating!  Thank goodness I have learned to deal with my emotional eating or this would be have been a  good time to have a food-fest!

Anyone else run into this?
dana712
on 11/20/09 7:06 am
Hi I am also looking into a revision, I am looking into the ERNY (distal RNY)
reenieb
on 11/23/09 3:43 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Oh my God, what an asshole!
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
Most Active