Has anyone had a revision from DS to gain more weight

carpadiem
on 11/13/09 3:48 am - TX
Has anyone had a revision from DS to something else so you can gain more weight?
Ara Keshishian
on 11/13/09 9:18 am - Glendale, CA
 Hello,
I am not sure if there is a reason to revise DS to something else to gain weight.
I have had to revise DS operation in some patients that needed to gain weight back (for other medical reasons, or too much weight loss long term) and this is a very easy procedure to do, by lengthening of the common channel.

Hope this answers your question.
Thanks
Ara
 Ara Keshishian, MD, FACS, FASMBS
[email protected]
www.dssurgery.com

(deactivated member)
on 11/13/09 7:58 pm
What have you tried?  Have you taken any pancreatic enzymes? Not the OTC ones, but Rx, like Creon or Viokase (sp).  You are still pretty early out and should have some rebound weight coming.  I don't know, you really haven't given any details.  There are things you can try before submitting your self to another surgery.

I have known a couple of DS'ers who had their CC lengthened.

Michele
thafatchick
on 11/14/09 11:32 pm, edited 11/14/09 11:46 pm
I've been watching this post for a few days now.  I'm curious as to why you want to "gain" some of your weight back.  How much over your goal have you lost?  Are you sick?  What are you eating?  Maybe cut back on shakes and do more carbs.  What about weight lifting to put on some muscle?  I'm just trying to think of solutions. 

I'm still trying to loose and sometimes have to fast just to drop a pound or 2.   Have you talked to Dr. Ganta about your issue?  He seemed nice & informative when I went in for a consultation b4 my wls.  

edit:  I also remember one of his office assistants was also one of his wls patients, maybe she can offer some advice if you don't want to speak to Dr. Ganta directly. I can't remember her name, it's been about a year and a half since I went in there.
ThaFatChick
Ara Keshishian
on 11/15/09 2:49 am - Glendale, CA
 Hello,
There are number of reasons why a patient may need to gain some weight back.
Nutritional deficiencies may be one of them. Iron deficiency, protein deficiency are some of the potential reasons why the DS needs to be revised. Other reasons may have to do with The loose Bowel movements that cause the nutritional issues.
There is also cases where the weight loss surgical procedures have to be reversed including DS that we may not be as clear. If a patient is undergoing other treatment for other diseases such as Chemo or radiation for a malignancy, that comes after a patient had a weight loss surgery. 

Ara Keshishian, MD, FACS, FASMBS
[email protected]
www.dssurgery.com

thafatchick
on 11/15/09 8:12 am, edited 11/15/09 8:13 am

Huh, whaa... is that doctor answering me?    

Okay, but I was curious about her particular reason.  I hope she is not offended that I asked a personal question.  I'm just curious.  Thanks for the info doc. 
ThaFatChick
carpadiem
on 11/16/09 12:55 am - TX
I am now 106 and my height is 5'4''. I have been on viokase 16 (2x 3xday) for over 3 months and it has somewhat stabilized my weightloss but I have a fear that I will lose more weight as soon as I am off of it. My weightloss should continue for anothe 6 months.  I take in over 250 to 300 carbs a day and along with over 120 to 150 grams of protein and over 2500 to 3000 calories a day. I can't seem to gain a pound. I do have continuous loose bowl movement a couple of hours after I eat. I am  avoiding milk products. I do lift weights but it doesn't seem to help. I just can't control this. 

What I read is that increasing the common Channel does not always help with the regain..

I have become skin and bones. I can see all my bones and ribs.  I look like a young girl and not the 40 year old woman I am.  I know this is not healthy. My labs are normal except for my vitamin D and iron which are slightly below which I am correcting with the help of vitalady.  My common channel is 100 and Al is 120.

I am constantly eating to gain weight. I would really like to gain another 20 lbs at a minimum.

I am scared and looking at my options. I will take other suggestions. Please be considerate unless you have been in my shoes you don't know the feeling. I know it is hard to understand this because we were all obese before.

Thank you all for replying back to me especially the doctor.
carpadiem
on 11/16/09 12:56 am - TX
Thank you.. I really appreciate this.
thafatchick
on 11/16/09 9:31 am
 Carpadiem,

Sorry if I came across as arrogant or inconsiderate but i was just curious.  I am still trying to drop pounds w/a 150 CC and having a tuff slow time of it.  I know we are all different and I do hope you find a solution to your issue.  

If you are lactose intolerant, I would like to suggest Mootopia milk from HEB.  I love it and it's extra protein too.  I also notice that when I eat more solid type foods, my stool is also more solid.  I do chop up my meats most times but I also sometimes like a tender steak or chuck roast.  Cheddar is a good cheese for me along with goat, parmesian, mozzarella, provolone and swiss.  

Good luck and give your surgeon a call, if you haven't already.  

ThaFatChick
carpadiem
on 11/17/09 12:36 am - TX
No worries.. Thank you for the suggestions.
Most Active