Need to get some opinions

amyraymond
on 11/8/09 1:26 pm
Hi all,

I write this with tears in my eyes because I had so much success for so long... and I really wanted this to work...  I really thought this would finally be over...

I had a lap RNY in January of 2001 - started at 334, and by about Sept of 2003 was down in the 160's.  I really wanted to get to the 130's... but hey, whats a girl to do.

For the longest time, if I was careful not to eat sweets and make sure to go to the gym, I kept within the same 10lbs - which was just fine for me. 

About 6 months ago, I started just going up - no matter what I did, it seemed like I gained weight.  I got tired of getting up at 5am just to go to the gym to have it not make a difference...

But now, I'm back over 200 and I swear I never thought I would be here again.  I was looking at that ROSE procedure, but I'm seeing a lot of you say it is not a good choice...

I tried Weigh****chers, what a joke.  Starved myself and never kept any weight off.  So here I am, looking at revisions, trying not to feel like a failure AGAIN.

So what have most of you decided to do?  Are you just living with gaining back that 40lbs?  Keeping a closet full of size 10's, knowing I'm a 16??

I just feel lost, and I really need some guidance.

Thanks for listening -
Amy
keenergel
on 11/8/09 10:57 pm - OH
Amy,

Know that you are not alone.  I have failed WLS twice and understand exactly what you are going through.  My insurance does not cover any WLS so for now I am am living with the gain.  From what I have studied for the last 15 years it seems only a DS works for revision long term.  I'd check out the other boards if I were you.  Know there are unfortunatley many of us out there.  Hang in there .

mrdoores
on 11/9/09 12:20 am - Waldorf, MD
Hi Amy,
You are not alone.  I had RNY in November of 2000 and lost 137 lbs in a year.  It was nice while it lasted but it didn't last long.   As it is now I have gained  half of  what I lost and am in the process of seeking a revision.   I didn't do the follow up like I should have.  I blame myself for that as I should have seeked guidance when I started gaining weight.  I have BCBS and  they have denied a revision so now I am in the process of an appeal.  I am trying to get the Distal Revision to the RNY.  I never made it under 200lbs.  Don't beat yourself up, if RNY's are not careful we will regain the weight, and some gain all they lost.

Research, research, research and more research is the key to finding the right revision for you. 

Good luck in whichever revision you choose.
Marianna

shele
on 11/9/09 1:49 am

You are definately NOT alone here! Most of us are in or have been where you are, the shame and embarrasment are unbearable at times!  I can still hear my self telling the wls doubters that it would work,, wait and see. I said only the peeps that don't do what they are supposed to will gain weight back again!!! Well,, I never even got to goal LOL and I did what I was supposed to! I did not touch sugar at all and ate tons of protein...

You know how you tried... no one else does.  The surgery failed YOU!

Keep reading and researching,,,, you will find your answer!

Good Luck!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

amyraymond
on 11/9/09 4:10 am
Thank you all for your kind words - it really is helpful to know we are not alone.  I do know people that it worked "permanently" for - so I really just blame myself.  I know that I started eating more - I know there were times I should have put the fork down.

Did the surgery fail me?  I dont know.  What I do know is that I felt that as long as I followed the plan, limited sugar, etc. that I would be successful.

To have to sit and admit that I am destined to be fat when I thought I finally found the answer..

I really dont want to go through another surgery...  But I would like to understand more about the DS.  Can someone who had it let me know their experience?
shele
on 11/9/09 4:24 pm

Go ON over to the ds board. They are helpful!!!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

ronda-k
on 11/9/09 11:46 am
 Ohhh gosh, that is SOOOO me, could have written it.  I'm revising to the DS because the lapband was a total failure for me.  
We always have tomorrow and new air to breath in and the promise of the chance to start over 
Ronda-SURVIVOR

starting wt-320
pre op-312
current-
kjfras
on 11/13/09 12:44 pm - North Lauderdale, FL
Gosh, just be glad you are catching it now that you've only gained back 40lbs - I've gained back ALL of the 160 lbs I lost from RNY.  I had the RNY in 2001 as well and kept off all my weight for 6 yrs.  Only in the last 3 yrs did I gain it back - that's 50 lbs a year! 

I have embarrasment every day - getting up to look in the mirror is horrible!  I have clothes from a size 12-32 in my closet, I thought I would NEVER have to order a size 32 again, but I do.

I have an appt with a Dr to discuss a revision.  I was looking at the ROSE but with so much weight to lose again I'm thinking lap-band or DS.  I want to go in knowing all the procedures so I'm busy studying up on everything now. Unfortunately, I chose a high-deductible health plan so looks like I'm gonna be paying a whole lot out of pocket - I just hope Aetna covers the majority after my deductible.  We shall see.

I wish you luck on your new journey.  We still owe it to ourselves.  I figure at least now I know what causes me to eat and hopefully I can stop the cycle.

Good luck!! 
Most Active