Do answers after RNY come in babysteps...for me I sure hope so :-)...

Kanimproves
on 11/6/09 9:35 am
For those of you that have been following my story... I started my weight loss journey at 323 lbs on a 5'9" frame. I had RNY surgery on 8/24/07 and only had a very short window of weight loss...down to 229 lbs.  Then the weight started creeping on and off. I did not see eye to eye with my origional surgeon as the weight crept on. I was told to move more and eat less...and still the pounds crept on... as his NUT told me to increase my meals to 300 calories each with three 100 calorie snacks in between. Plus who could forget the minimum of 64 oz of water. Well in the last three months my weight has gone from 233 to 260 lbs on that advice!!!

I've been wanting to get a second opinion on my RNY and see what went wrong!!! Today I finally got an approval to my letter of appeal asking my insurnace carrier to let me go to the "Cleveland Clinic " for a review of my case. 

I'm trying so darn hard to lose weight and have only managed to put more weight on. I work out at my local YMCA three days a week. Then I take adult learn to swim lessons another night . Plus I walk on my off days on my treadmill.

Now I await word from Cleveland as to when I might be able to get in for my initial consult. At this point "Babysteps to the new me ... seem rather exciting" ... just learning why my intial RNY did not work will be music to my ears. I'lll keep you all posted.
Hugs,
Kathy
missnanajean
on 11/7/09 12:01 pm - Friendswood, TX
Sorry Kathy you are having problems. Something to look into? Have you had other surgeries, are your feet and legs very swollen do you have rashes on your legs that don't heal? You may have lymphedema which is a fluid problem. I had lapband 20 mo.ago and no wt.loss . A few months ago I went to a plastic surgeon  to have my knees debulked  to have knee replacement and was diagnoised with lymphedema. My Dr.s are very pleased that I've had the RNY they expect me to lose up to 30lb.s of fluid alone the first month,Don't give up. Miss Jean
Kanimproves
on 11/8/09 12:23 am
Hi Miss Jean, Thanks for the reply. I am hopeful that another set of eyes and ears might be able to help through my inability to lose weight after my RNY.  I only lost for a very short window after my RNY. I was diabetic prior to my surgery and on an antidiabetic called Avandia. In my heart of hearts I sincerely think just the side effect of weight gain went away after my surgery when I was taken off the Avandia. 
I have heard of Lymphedema but do not have swelling or blistering of my skin at all.  My PCP always checks my ankles for fluid and has not found a problem yet.  I will keep that as a question to ask when I get to the Cleveland Clinic for my second opinion.
I am so happy to hear that you should lose 30 lbs of fluid with your correct diagnosis.
Thanks so much for your concern and support. I appreciate very much. Kathy
Most Active